Advice: Looking for closed cans around ~350$
Apr 23, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #16 of 28
Thanks for all the valuable input. I am holding off on a pair of cans for the moment... undecided as so many around here
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-ESW9. These are not great headphones as compared to my home cans, but I really like them for what they offer. They are a touch warm with decent extension on both ends, no lack of bass and a bit congested, but not overwhelming or bothersome unless listening to bass-heavy music or orchestral works with a lot going on. They are wonderful with most music I listen to: acoustic, folky, bluesy, small combo jazz, chamber stuff. They should do well with most of what you've listed as your musical preferences. You hear a lot about headphones being great with female vocals, but I think these do very well with male vocals, better than many out there. There was some funkiness in the upper mid range that smoothed out after a week or so. The soundstage isn't the greatest, but they're otherwise so enjoyable, you kinda forget to care. I bought them as portable, closed headphones and they suit me fine for that purpose. One advantage is that they sound good straight out of an ipod but improve with an amp (I've used it with a pico, mini^3, Diablo, or MiniBox E+). They are very comfortable (but I have a small head) and I use them mostly kicked back on the sofa or in bed where their small size can't interfere with pillow comfort. I'm pretty sure they'd do well with the predator, which I've heard but not with these headphones, so I'm only guessing.

Thanks a lot for your comments, very helpfull! The ESW9 are currently at the top of the list
smily_headphones1.gif
As far as I can tell it seems that I would enjoy them.

Quote:

Good luck. If I were you, I'd get the ESW9s and then some good open cans later on down the line.
tongue.gif

That's actually my kind of plan... now if I would get some recommendations about high-end open cans *hinthint* I could start putting some money aside *hehe*

Thanks again for all your comments!
-Kensan

Apr 23, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #17 of 28
I would go for the ATH-ESW9 if you want some portability, if not go for the ATH-W1000. It doesn't get the appreciation that it deserves here on head-fi. Both cans are pretty similar in sound signature but the W1000 is more comfortable and has a more detailed and punchy bass, the ESW9 has more bass though.
///

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kensan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's actually my kind of plan... now if I would get some recommendations about high-end open cans *hinthint* I could start putting some money aside *hehe*

Sennheiser HD650 is sort of the standard high-end-ish recommendation for open phones.
smily_headphones1.gif
MSRP is $500, but I got my used ones for ~$220 shipped. Always a good option.

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shleepy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD650 is sort of the standard high-end-ish recommendation for open phones.
smily_headphones1.gif
MSRP is $500, but I got my used ones for ~$220 shipped. Always a good option.

Sure if you like your head to hurt after a few hours. I have a small head too. Can't believe all Sennheiser headphones have that horrible death grip on the top of your head. It makes wearing any of their headphones unbearable.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kensan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will check out the Senns. Thanks.

Any recommendations where I could get a good deal on the ATH-ESW9? Preferably online shops with international shipping
smily_headphones1.gif

You realize that HD650 are open design, not sure why the other poster recommended them in "Looking for closed cans" thread?
I would heartily recommend pricejapan for ESW9. But if size doesn't matter, K271S will serve you much better sonic, comfort, and isolation wise. Just my 2 cents.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You realize that HD650 are open design, not sure why the other poster recommended them in "Looking for closed cans" thread?
I would heartily recommend pricejapan for ESW9. But if size doesn't matter, K271S will serve you much better sonic, comfort, and isolation wise. Just my 2 cents.

I wondering the exact same thing.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #23 of 28
You had mentioned an interest in Grado, but also that the Reference Series is outside of your budget.

I'd consider getting some SR225's and performing a woody-mod to them later on. In my personal opinion 225's are just as much of a joy to listen to as RS-1's, with the latter feeling smoother and more refined (not necessarily a benefit for rock, however).

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You had mentioned an interest in Grado, but also that the Reference Series is outside of your budget.

I'd consider getting some SR225's and performing a woody-mod to them later on. In my personal opinion 225's are just as much of a joy to listen to as RS-1's, with the latter feeling smoother and more refined (not necessarily a benefit for rock, however).

Aura back in time I almost bought some Grado GR80s instead of the HD280 but how are they in keeping sound out ? Do you need them very long to not be able to hear outside noise? Talking about inside noise.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually hi-jacked my own thread to ask about open cans. That's my bad.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure if you like your head to hurt after a few hours. I have a small head too. Can't believe all Sennheiser headphones have that horrible death grip on the top of your head. It makes wearing any of their headphones unbearable.

For HD650? They seem to be a little bigger than some of the other Senn's. Sure, they're not at the comfort level of AKG K701's, but not too far away. And I have a pretty big head, too! I definitely wouldn't call it a "horrible death grip."
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shleepy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For HD650? They seem to be a little bigger than some of the other Senn's. Sure, they're not at the comfort level of AKG K701's, but not too far away. And I have a pretty big head, too! I definitely wouldn't call it a "horrible death grip."
smily_headphones1.gif

Solution for the death grip
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4119741-post277.html

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aura back in time I almost bought some Grado GR80s instead of the HD280 but how are they in keeping sound out ? Do you need them very long to not be able to hear outside noise? Talking about inside noise.

Honestly, if you have the volume turned up slightly above normal-listening volumes (my normal-listening anyhow) they will isolate fairly well. You will still notice someone trying to say something to you, but it's not like you'll be able to hear every word - it will just sound like muttering.

The length of the chambers has no impact on isolation/leakage, they only impact the sound being produced from the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back