Advice: iPod Nano or full-sized iPod Video?
Jun 8, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nike T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi I'm new here and I just looking at all my choices in DAP's and IEM's. Is this cable the same as the Turbo Dock cable you're talking about? http://www.amazon.com/Ipod-Dock-Conn...1267132&sr=8-1

No, the Turbo Dock cable was special made by one of the people here on the board. His ID is Turbo. He makes a very good afordable mini-dock for the nano or iPod. Just send him an email PM or asking about them.

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #18 of 31
My advice for people looking for a new mp3 player is to get the biggest capacity your budget will allow. If you get a small one, you will get pissed off not being able to have all the music in your library on it.

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subatomic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice for people looking for a new mp3 player is to get the biggest capacity your budget will allow. If you get a small one, you will get pissed off not being able to have all the music in your library on it.

Good advice. And since he doesn't plan on exercising heavily with the iPod I'd go for the 30 or 60 gig. Also, new phones for it are a must (iBuds...).

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #20 of 31
I also agree 100% with Subatomic's advice. I have an 8 gig Nano, which I love for it's small form factor and all around good looks, but I recently purchased an 80 gig iMod partly because 8 gigs didn't hold enough songs to keep me happy.

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a owner of the 2nd generation Nano and having used the 5th generation iPod extensively, I'll have to say that the current generation Nano has mediocre sound quality that is quite inferior in comparison with that of the full sized video iPod. If I could rebuy, I would personally go with the video iPod. The added features, capacity, and sound quality is enough to justify the price increase in my opinion.

I just bought my daughter (who happily isn't an audiophile) a second generation 4 gig nano today. Just out of curiosity, I plugged it into my (ahem, audiophile) stereo system, to which I have my old 2nd iPod hooked up. I couldn't believe how poor the Nano sounded. It's really very, very low to mid-Fi. Terrible separation of image and congested. Bright headphones would cure some of that and make it not noticeable, but the Nano is strictly a portable toy. Certainly not even close to a normal ipod which can fill in a stereo system quite satisfyingly. What a surprise.
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #22 of 31
It's a mere $50 difference. I would definitely opt for the video. Forget the features, the capacity alone makes it worthwhile. The resale value of it will also be higher in the future. The 5th gen iPods are extremely thin as is, so there should be no problem carrying them in your dress pant pocket.

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #23 of 31
chadbang - what format and data rate is your daughter importing her music? Most iPod users I know are listening to 128 MP3 files which will not sound very good on decent speakers.

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #25 of 31
Yeah -- 128kbps files are relics from the days when people had 256MB flash players and 5GB hard drives -- when space was at a premium.

Chadbang -- just to confirm, were you using the line out or headphone out? And were the songs downloads or ripped from CDs?

Jun 13, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #26 of 31
I prefer the sound from 5.5 gen ipod video than ipod nano 2nd gen. Actually i've own both of them and the difference is the smoothness of the mids, you can feel it right away. But, its not a night and day difference, so if you prefer portability, you can't go wrong with nano. Also there is a lack from the ipod video when you access a songs, because it use hard drive. Maybe thats just my opinion and my ears....

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #27 of 31
I cycle and jog on a regular basis. I tried my wife Ipods (2nd, video with 80 gigs) and found them too heavy and uncomfortable for sports. I have a 2 gig nano, soon to be replaced by an 8 gig and I love it for sports with my UM2. It all depends on what you need it for.
if Sports/portability an issue=Nano
If Storage/videos and size is not an issue=Video Ipod.

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #28 of 31
gilency brings a good point, but for me... if im already spending that much for 8gig nano id go for the ipod with storage and screen (video). theyre pretty portable too. with the right strap i dont see a problem sporting with one.
personally i dont use ipod anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back