Advice hooking up PC to headphones...admittedly a noob...
Jan 10, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #16 of 18
Ugh...I'm late to the game i know, but I just found out about the Asus Xonar Essence STX card...does anyone know how this card by itself would compare to an iBasso D2 or D3 with the Omega Striker? Overall, the Asus would be cheaper (if I end up buying the iBasso)...plus, it does have RCA outpits so I could connect a set of studio monitors for movies/games (not big on bass or anything, just clean sound, huge explosions don't really impress me...) any advice? thanks in advance

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 18
Yeah, I've been eyeing that card too, and supposedly it has a really decent headamp. I'm pretty sure it would sound better than the other card you were considering.. at least I would hope so for twice the price, and the Xonar Essence was built with audiophile headphones in mind which is pretty cool. I would say if you can afford it, try it out.. good luck finding a place with it in stock though. If you end up buying that and aren't satisfied with it, it would be an easy sell on here or another audio forum.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 18
btw usf, the two headphones you were originally thinking about buying are both considered good all-around phones that match up well with several different genres.. I think you would be pretty happy with either. I think a lot of people on here would consider the D2000 the superior headphone, and I think it costs a bit more too.. it's also closed so it won't leak sound and bother the people around you if that's important. Try not to get overwhelmed by all the conflicting reviews on head-fi.. for every 10 people that say a headphone is the greatest ever, there's at least a couple people who swear it sucks. I started with the Audio Technica A700s, and I swear I couldn't imagine better sound for the money.. but there's more than a few people on here who claim they're terrible. The lesson is that you have to gamble on equipment sometimes and actually hear it for yourself.. after all, you can always sell stuff and go back and try again. Good headphones that are hardly used have good resale value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back