Advice Help Neewb 100-120Bucks?
Oct 25, 2006 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Chrisrod01

Head-Fier
IM most likely to buy today ,but I'm still in doubt which are worth my 100-120 bucks. I was looking into the HD280 ,HD555, Grados SR80, MS1. Your thought ?????

Uses for listening to Rock on Comp, Ipod, and minor PC gaming

Just ordered my MS1 hope I will happy with them IM not to picky

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 24
The HD-555 was my first headphone, and I loved it. I was blown away by the details I was hearing for the first time in very familiar music, and also by the rythm and pace the 'phones imparted to the music. You wouldn't go wrong with them.

The HD-555 is low impedence, so you don't need an amp to drive it. The salesman at HeadRoom said I wouldn't notice a difference if I did use an amp, and curiously I've never tried it with my amp--probably because I bought the amp when I bought my HD-650.

All this said, I haven't heard any of the other 'phones you're considering.

What are you thinking of spending on the amp? Also about $100-120? Amps from Jan Meier, Ray Samuels, and SinglePower all get shining reviews here, but they may be out of your price range.

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 24
if you listen to rock and game then you should get the hd555's as they are a great all-around headphone. they won't be as good for rock as some grados, but they'll be about 300x better at gaming then grados.

another can to consider would be the ATH A500's they are great for gaming, not sure about rock though.

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 24
Ok, my vote goes to the MS-1's or could've gone to SR80's. The reason is rock, and only minor gaming. As we all know the Grados are hard to beat when it comes to rock. They give that funny feeling when the music just sound soo right
cool.gif

Compared to Senns the sound is more vivid and "there". On the other hand the Senns have much wider soundstage so if that's what you want then... Btw. does soundstage help gaming in any way?
blink.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 24
The HD555 is the obvious choice
eggosmile.gif
. Seconded.... emmm... Thirded!
eggosmile.gif
I used them everyday for almost a year now. Just lovely all around headphones.

And yes, soundstage does give a better spatial representation in 3D games, especially FPS. That's why the HD555 are getting so much lovin'.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaques
Ok, my vote goes to the MS-1's or could've gone to SR80's. The reason is rock, and only minor gaming. As we all know the Grados are hard to beat when it comes to rock. They give that funny feeling when the music just sound soo right
cool.gif

Compared to Senns the sound is more vivid and "there". On the other hand the Senns have much wider soundstage so if that's what you want then... Btw. does soundstage help gaming in any way?
blink.gif

I agree. MS-1 for rock at $100.

Oct 25, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 24
since you mention ipod as a source I'm assuming you're going to go portable with them.
In all fairness that removes the a900s
and in some peoples minds the hd-555s
personally I'm going to recommend the AKG 81Djs for $55 from facination products on ebay.

or the MS-1 although I've never heard it.

Oct 25, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 24
If your looking for a great ROCK-phone, go with a Grado/MS1. Chances-are; if you're going to be listening to them for tunes, mostly; you won't be terribly dissappointed with them on games. If you are, you can always get a set of Senns later, for gaming. For music-listening mainly though, my money goes to Grado.

Oct 25, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 24
For listening to rock unamped, the MS-1 are indeed an excelent choice.

For gaming, the soundstage is a little cramped, however.

....be carefull....MS-1 can very easily lead to MS2i!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
For listening to rock unamped, the MS-1 are indeed an excelent choice.

For gaming, the soundstage is a little cramped, however.

....be carefull....MS-1 can very easily lead to MS2i!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dont Worry i dont have that amount of cash its my18 B-day present from my parents it was going to be a new lcd since my old one broke but ill get that in christmas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back