Advice for what high end IEM to purchase for airline use
Oct 10, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 22
I will recommend Sennheiser IE8 if you want strong bass and overall sound is clear and detailed with huge soundstage. There few more IEMs which isolate well and there bass is deep and strong like SF5EB, IE7, FX500, C710, ATH_ CKS70, Klipsch Custom 3, Image X10 and Westone 3 has clear extended highs, deep rich bass and wide soundstage. BTW with this budget ATH_CK100(some head-fiers says it's refind version of ER4P with little less isolation but it has more bass) and UM3x are audiophile quality IEMs with great bass extention, rich detailed mids and clear extended highs.

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #17 of 22
Great tips in the replies, thanks guys.

So I have worked out:
- The Zune quality is going to be a constraint so don't need the most expensive IEMs as the zune won't get the most from them (also I will be using well encoded but still lossy files).
- Isolation will vary depending on the brand/model
- I should be able to get away with just a good pair of IEMs that isolate well, without having to go to a noise cancelling model which for the same price won't sound as good. The new Sony looks interesting but it does not appear to be readily available.
- Comfort in the ear will also vary with the bud used and the IEM shape. Some models won't work well for sleeping (like the ERP4 and Sony)
- A separate amp will help the sound quality for some of the cheaper IEMs. I'm not convinced of this, except perhaps for extra EQ as the Zune does not do EQ well, as the external amp will add its own distortion / signature. Its also an extra box to carry.

So to decide on an IEM I should look for:
- An IEM that does not protrude too much from the ear (for comfort / sleeping)
- In the top ranking for isolation (I still can't easily find an isolation comparisons?)
- An IEM that has a signature of a stronger bass and the clear highs.
- Has to be built reasonably well so that wires don't break if I stretch while sleeping
- Quality range does not need to be top class. So I can budget between $200 and $300 (ie. below the Westone UM3x, something like the Sure SE530?)

On isolation, I have worked out the following:
- Sennheiser range: 26db
- ERP4: 41db (!!)
- Sure SE530: 30db
- UM3X 25db
- 5EB 16db
- CK100 (reputed to have weaker bass?). Can't find db isolation

However the above isolation figures may not be an apples to apples comparison as I had to search a couple of different web sites (some with different isolation figures for the same IEM!) to extract these figures and the testing would not be consistent.

The ER4 looks to be ideal except its not sleep friendly and lacks in the bass, and I don't fancy taking an extra amp box when travelling. Maybe these are the compromises to make as no other IEM even gets close to this model in isolation.

Zarim, out of the list you posted, what would be the top 3 for isolation? Is there a post/website that does a db isolation comparison?

Let me know if my assessment is 'off beam' and if there are other brands/models I should be considering given the above assessment. Many thanks!

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #18 of 22
On most bass light IEMs bass almost disapears in noisy envirement so bass heavy IEMs can do the trick if they isolate well. Sennheiser IE8, IE7 and X10 has some impactfull deep punchy bass. I find IE8 are very comfy to wear(for most ears) and it's easy to sleep with these. To me the top 3 IEMs for long plane rides under $300 budget are X10, IE8 and IE7 all has punchy bass, great mids and clean highs.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #19 of 22
Zarim,

I agree, you do need an earphone with a bit more emphasis on bass in a noisy environment.

The Klipsch X10 looks to have a similar issue to the ERP4, the body of the earphone sticking out which looks uncomfortable for sleeping.

The Weston UM3x also looks like a good possibility, it supposedly has a warm bass, comfortable and excellent isolation although I probably don't need to spend as much due to the quality limits of the Zune.

What about the Sure SE530, they seem to be coming up often as a good all round IEM (good sound, one of the best isolation)?

Also would it help if I purchase one of the more bass friendly IEMs that maybe does not have so great isolation, but swap the bud out for one that seals better? Does this approach work for improving isolation? The IE8 looks like a potential option for me as well but its isolation is not as good as some of the other IEMs I'm narrowing down to.

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 22
x2 on the customs. I've done quite a bit of flying this year with my Livewires. There's been a few times that I've missed the announcement to turn off my personal electronics. With no music I can hear just enough to let the flight attendants know what I want to drink. With music at a low volume, the rest of the plane disappears. They also don't protrude so much to make sleeping uncomfortable.

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #21 of 22
SE530 are great IEMs with rich forward midrange and bass is deep, tight and punchy with good highs. I think many head- fiers confirmed here UM3x exceeds SE530 in midrange and overall soundquality(even many ER4P/S owners are happy with UM3x). So UM3x willbe better option if you choose between these IEMs and they fit snugly, so sleeping when wearing these won't be problem(yes X10 are not good choice for this reason). Actually Zune HD has great sound quality and even highend universal will work perfectely with it. Sennheiser IE8 or any IEMs can work perfectly if turn up volume but if listening session are with lower volume(less then half) then need great isolation. BTW with little more ($400+175) you can buy UM mage which are quad drivers custom IEMs like UE11Pro and they has some of best sound available in very highend custom IEMs.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #22 of 22
For long flights, I use my Shure e500c's with the black foam tips. I've been able to listen to music on an MD80 in the back sitting by the engine. It wasn't concert hall quiet by any stretch, but it was listenable. On international flights, I've left them in for 10 to 12 hours, then have been shocked when I pulled them out to find out how noisy the cabin really was. I've tried the Weston 3s with long Comply tips on a plane side by side with the Shures, but the Shures had the edge to me. I've not tried the UM3X.

Both of these solutions are better than the Boss QC2s which I've also tried on planes. They're so much better at isolation that I normally try to convince seat mates who are using the QC2s to switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back