Advice for someone with a big head / big ears
Feb 4, 2022 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Veggomatic

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I'm on the search for some new headphones that are <$1500 that are a good fit for us large framed individuals. I recently purchased a set of LSA HP-2's that I had high hopes for but they're uncomfortable for me to wear. The auto adjusting headband maxes out once I get the pads on my ears, and then my right ear is larger than my left and the pad either squishes my earlobe or the top of my ear. For reference, my head is 24 5/8" (roughly 63cm) which puts it typically in the XXL size for things like hats/caps.

My job has moved to 100% from home permanently, so I use the headphones for probably 6 hours a day for both music and video calls and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm open to either open or closed back, though I tend to prefer headphones with a decent amount of bass output and prefer a fun signature over analytical sound signature, though I know the term "fun" is subjective. My currently daily headphones are Shure SRH1540 and I'll occasionally pop in my Shure SE846 IEM's. The shortcomings of the SRH1540 for me are soundstage and separation, plus the top end is a bit muddied compared to some other headphones I've enjoyed.

My current equipment setup is a Monolith Liquid Platinum amp, being fed by either a Topping D90SE or a Denafrips Ares II. I'm trying to figure out which DAC I'll keep and it comes down to what headphones I end up with. I also have a Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3, but it's overkill for a bedside setup and will likely be selling it.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Feb 4, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 8
I use the Arya Stealth and they are by far the most comfortable headphones I own--the extended pads fit really well for me. Also have the Ares II and they're wonderful together. For calls, I pop in the Fidelio X2HR with v-moda mic. Those two together would be under your budget.

And the Arya has excellent separation and soundstage for its price.

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 8
I use the Arya Stealth and they are by far the most comfortable headphones I own--the extended pads fit really well for me. Also have the Ares II and they're wonderful together. For calls, I pop in the Fidelio X2HR with v-moda mic. Those two together would be under your budget.

And the Arya has excellent separation and soundstage for its price.
Thanks for the reply, and good to get some positive feedback on the Arya. That one was on my radar due to the shape, I just have some reservations around HifiMan as they don't have the best track record for build quality / quality control. But they do have a generous 30 day return policy, so I'll probably check them out.

For calls/meetings, MS Teams and also BlueJeans both allow me to use my DAC as the "speakers" and I have a Shure MV7 that I use for a mic. When I need to appear more "professional", I plug my IEM's into the headphone jack on the MV7 and they disappear when I wear them.

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the reply, and good to get some positive feedback on the Arya. That one was on my radar due to the shape, I just have some reservations around HifiMan as they don't have the best track record for build quality / quality control. But they do have a generous 30 day return policy, so I'll probably check them out.

For calls/meetings, MS Teams and also BlueJeans both allow me to use my DAC as the "speakers" and I have a Shure MV7 that I use for a mic. When I need to appear more "professional", I plug my IEM's into the headphone jack on the MV7 and they disappear when I wear them.

Ah, I see--so you're pretty much covered for audio out on calls.

And you're welcome--the Arya's aren't built incredibly well, no, but they're not flimsy either. I have an Audeze that's built like a tank but it weighs as much as one, too. Also the ZMF Auteurs (which I'm selling soon), Verite Opens, DT1990, etc. The Arya is built better than the HE6SE v2 and Sundara, if that helps. And it literally disappears on your head, at least for me.

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 8
My hat measurement is 63 mm so I feel your pain. My football helmet for high school was a special order from Riddell, and finding a hat that fits is problematic. Headphones can be unforgiving as well. Those with a high clamping force are particularly problematic for those of us with big noggins. I once remember reading glowing reviews of the Audeze LCD-3 when it came out, and on my trip to a headphone shop to Tokyo my hopes were dashed when I found the thing clamped my far-apart temples like a vice.

I have been in this game a fair amount of time - owned Stax SR009, Abyss Diana Phi and TC, ZMF Verite Closed…but to be totally honest the headphones that get the most amount of use are my Ultrasone Edition 8s. They are fun-sounding and practical and ergonomic. Perfect for a meat-and-potatoes pop-rock taste like I have. I don’t use them for desktop use - I use them for on the go around the use. They are so versatile and comfortable I even used to use them out and about exercising. To have an idea of their durability, I have run many marathons with them on!

You mentioned your ears are big so you may want to look up the line a bit - if you can snag a used Edition 5 it might fit in your budget and have the benefit of a bigger cup size (the edition 8 cups are a bit on the smalish size unfortunately). I haven’t tried the signature line but that might be an option too.

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #7 of 8
My hat measurement is 63 mm so I feel your pain. My football helmet for high school was a special order from Riddell, and finding a hat that fits is problematic. Headphones can be unforgiving as well. Those with a high clamping force are particularly problematic for those of us with big noggins. I once remember reading glowing reviews of the Audeze LCD-3 when it came out, and on my trip to a headphone shop to Tokyo my hopes were dashed when I found the thing clamped my far-apart temples like a vice.

I have been in this game a fair amount of time - owned Stax SR009, Abyss Diana Phi and TC, ZMF Verite Closed…but to be totally honest the headphones that get the most amount of use are my Ultrasone Edition 8s. They are fun-sounding and practical and ergonomic. Perfect for a meat-and-potatoes pop-rock taste like I have. I don’t use them for desktop use - I use them for on the go around the use. They are so versatile and comfortable I even used to use them out and about exercising. To have an idea of their durability, I have run many marathons with them on!

You mentioned your ears are big so you may want to look up the line a bit - if you can snag a used Edition 5 it might fit in your budget and have the benefit of a bigger cup size (the edition 8 cups are a bit on the smalish size unfortunately). I haven’t tried the signature line but that might be an option too.
Thanks MaggotBrain, the Ultrasone's weren't even on my radar but I'll keep an eye out for them on the secondary market. And I hear you on the clamping pressure, I've actually snapped several different brands of Xbox gaming headsets trying to get them to open up a bit more so I could play for more than an hour comfortably. This is compounded even more by the fact that I wear glasses.

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 8
Have a look at Sennheiser HD 800
Big cups, low clamping force, low weight.
Most comfortable ones I ever had.
I played around with the Sennheiser 820's and I liked the fit. For better or worse, Sennheiser is the only brands that my co-workers would frown at, though I would get some flack for Apple Airpods too. I wouldn't get in trouble or anything, but I would get a lot of crap due to who my employer is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back