Advice for simple computer set up
May 10, 2009 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RASeymour

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some help in setting up a simple cheap audio set up with a computer as the source. I want to use my existing system (amp/receiver, speakers) as much as possible. The amp/receiver has no ports for usb or any other digital input, just the usual RCA plugs-ins.

For a source/storage, I thought I could get one of these cheap netbooks. They are small and seem to have a couple of usb ports. I want something that can sit on the hallway table.

But what do I do to get from the netbook or computer to the amp/receiver? Do I need some sort of DAC converter, like I have with my portable headphone amp? If so, are there some recommendations?

This system will be used to route music to the kitchen/living room. So it will be more background than primary listening and doesn't have to have top of the line audio quality.

May 10, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 9
I think the cheapest way is to get a mini plug to rca cable, plug the mini plug into the netbook's headphone jack strait into an rca input on your receiver. If you decide to get a dac, then you would do the same thing except use the headphone out jack on the receiver.
I know there are other ways, but that's how I would ghetto rig it on the cheap and simple.

May 10, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 9
you could also run a squeezebox and pipe it throughout your house

May 10, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 9
You have a few options that readily come to mind. These are:

1. iBasso D10
2. Pico DAC only version
3. Devilsound
4. HeadRoom Micro DAC
5. Zhaolu DAC
6. Pacific Valve has many options at various prices
7. Scott Nixon's DAC

Others will hopefully chime in.

May 10, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the quick replies.

Will there be much sq loss with the simple direct cable connection? I know that I said that sq wasn't a top priority, but still....

I looked at the Squeezebox but didn't want to invest in that, at least not yet.

I do have a D10 but it is back in China for repair/replacement (see my thread in the portable amp section if interested). I can try that when I get it back. But I thought that was mainly for headphones.

May 10, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 9
I do it all the time if I'm walking around my apartment cleaning or something. I have my Notebook> USB Gamma y1 DAC> RSA Hornet hooked up to my cheap desktop speakers to give my y1 and hornet some burn in time. I mean I'm still kinda new to all of this to, but I don't think there is enough current from your D10 into your Receiver to ruin it.
I guess you can consider your D10 as a pre amp, but don't take my word for it. I'm sure some one will come along and fix anything I have said
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... But I thought that was mainly for headphones.

You can use the D10 as a DAC only. In the front panel the analog in also works as DAC out, all you would need is a 1/8" to RCA cable to connect the D10 to your receiver. Good luck.

May 10, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the quick replies.
I looked at the Squeezebox but didn't want to invest in that, at least not yet.

The Squeezebox is cheaper than the netbook and is probably a better option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back