Advice for Reterminating an IEM
Apr 16, 2014 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cricketbaby

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

My Sony XBA-40 IEMs have recently given up on me - I'm only getting high-end through unless I wiggle the jack.

Rather than go straight out and purchase a new pair of IEMs (with removable cables, may I add!), I thought I'd have a go at reterminating them...

Having never did this before, I'm not exactly sure what's required. I was planning on getting a 'fine' soldering iron along with a 35mm Neutrik jack.

Can anyone offer any specific advice / recommendations?

Thanks

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 10
  Hi,

My Sony XBA-40 IEMs have recently given up on me - I'm only getting high-end through unless I wiggle the jack.

Rather than go straight out and purchase a new pair of IEMs (with removable cables, may I add!), I thought I'd have a go at reterminating them...

Having never did this before, I'm not exactly sure what's required. I was planning on getting a 'fine' soldering iron along with a 35mm Neutrik jack.

Can anyone offer any specific advice / recommendations?

Thanks

Warranty them, sony is one of the best. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 10
I imported them from Japan. Would it still be valid?

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 10
As long as there is a warranty and it hasn't expired, I don't see why not. The largest problem is the hassle of sending them back. Sometimes the dealer just won't accept it.

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 10
Bootdsc,

I bought them from an eBay dealer, though I will investigate about a possible return under warranty. Depending on how that goes, I might actually need some advice on reterminating an IEM... I fail to see the troll.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 10
He might have trolled himself.

Buying from an eBay dealer? Um, warranty is going to be hard for that one.

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Sorry just there's a lot of poeple who ask for advise that's already been posted(thousands of times maybe?) just to get poeple pissed about reposting the same already answered questions. iem's are not easy to work with because they are glued together and the only cheap source for a replacement cable is to cannibalize another pair of iem's. If you don't already know how to solder you will need to practice on something else first and if you are mechanically inclined it will only take a couple years to get truly proficient. Is shipping to hk always that expensive? There's plenty of people who do repair work in the states, myself included although i don't normally do iem's.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 10
Oh and for warranty even if its not covered by sony they will still do the repair work for a fee. Might still be your best option.

Always better to trust someone who knows how to do those things huh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back