Advice for noob
Nov 19, 2003 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sync

100+ Head-Fier
I want to build my self a headphone amp, mainly cause I want to see if I can do it, but I also want an amp. My dad will have most of the tools I need but seeing as I have never built anything even remotely similar before, is it a complete waste of my time and money to build one of these? Im just trying to build an opamp cheaply, around 30 bucks, and ive seen some of the great how to links on the forum. Im just wondering, should I even try? I mean, what are the chances I could get one to work first attempt?

Nov 19, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 7
Try it...I am bypassing the CMOY and going straight for the META42 or PIMETA or (Gasp!) PPA...

You should first read a little about Op-Amps - just the basics before you start. Not required but it is a good idea...

Even if you dont read and still go ahead then you can still get it working. I dont think it will work right out of the box without some debugging and hard work...if you have never done this before then you should enjoy it a lot rather than find it frustrating...

Give it a shot. $50 bucks is gone but you learn a lot in the bargain and you can move onto bigger things after getting this CMOY working.

Go Go Go!!!
600smile.gif

Nov 19, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

what are the chances I could get one to work first attempt?

It all depends on how skillful you are at soldering and how careful you are at following directions.

For the most part, you don't need to know much about electronics but you will have to understand basic electrical principles and know how to mechanically assemble a printed circuit assembly.

If you have no prior experience in this, you should have someone who knows how to do this coach you through it or start with a very elementary assembly project to familiarize yourself with the parts nomenclature, assembly techniques and basic troubleshooting.

The PIMETA is actually not much more difficult to assemble than the CMOY IF you know how to solder small components. It is more complex and will require attention to detail when placing the components in the board. The complexity includes making decisions on how to power the amp and enclosing it in a case.

Nov 19, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

I mean, what are the chances I could get one to work first attempt?

Id say the chances are quite well, when i first did my cmoy, first amp ever, it worked perfectly, it took me around an hour to do and was pretty satisfied with it, i didnt think it would sound that good. Excluding the tools needed to make the amp, it would have cost me no more than $20 to make a full cased amp, but if you have most of the other components the chip and case would be the only cost. So in other words, GO FOR IT!!

Also, if want a better amp like the mint or pimeta, i actually found those much easier builds than the cmoy, primarily because you just point and solder, point and solder, Tangent's guide doesnt leave much to wonder about.

Ivan C.

Nov 19, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 7
I built 2 CMOY's before i built my latest MINT(see thread i posted)

The mint was cake after building those. and it sounds excellent. But so did my CMOY.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 7
if you're completely new, start with the cmoy. it does sound good, and it's a much better place to make your first mistakes. (and mistakes are just part of learning.)

gsferrari, i believe the meta42 is discontinued in favor of the pimeta. mainly because the buffers are now unavailable.

can one start with the pimeta? sure, but the caution is the parts count is higher for someone just learning how to solder, and you have to make more decisions about parts options. for a complete beginner the cmoy is much better.

and don't dis it as a beginner project. it's still a nice simple headamp. with audio there's *always* a step higher you can go.

Nov 19, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 7
my first DIY project was an interconnect. My second diy project was shortening those interconnects because a buyer wanted them shorter. my third DIY project was a completely protoboarded Gilmore Dynamic Class A.

If you have a truly basic idea of how the circuits work and how to read a circuit diagram, you're in business. OR you can just play connect the dots with those boards tangent spits out. Saves a lot of time, but really kills the learning experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back