Advice for newbye
Jan 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pacio

New Head-Fier

Hello Everybody,
I used to be a serious HiFi listener but it was pretty much time ago, now that I was gifted a iPhone 4S I would like to play it with a good pair of headphones. I have a pretty tight budget below 200 euro and I was thinking about a couple of choices after all:
Senn HD 518
Senn HD 558
I read the advice for beginners and I start questioning if the choice is kind of too much for the source I have, anyway I would like to have one of them.
In my mind I thought about an external amplification, like the Fiio amps, but now I would like to ask you whether this makes sense or those headphones can go alone and perform equally well without amplification.
If not, my match would be:
HD 518 + Fiio E10
otherwise
HD 588 + Fiio E6
What do you think about?
Please just leave your comments and suggestions.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Marco

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 7
Hmm, what type if music do you usually listen to?

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, I listen to Bach most of the time, but I do not disregard some diverse jazz music like Bill Evans, Diana Krall, Stan Getz, others. But I do listen to classical basically.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Okay, in that case I'd would lean more toward the HD558 & E6 combo.  The HD558 has a bit more midrange presence than the HD518, as well as a more airy sound that would work better with classical recordings, in my opinion.  The HD518, while very good, might be a bit too bass heavy to give an accurate classical reproduction. 

Welcome to Head-Fi by the way.  Sorry about your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 7
There is more differences between the HD518 and HD558 than between HD558 et HD598 imo. The best being of course the HD598 but if you can fin the HD558 at a good price, go for it.

For jazz and classical, the HD558 and the HD598 are very good and where the HD558 add some mid and sub bass, the HD598 is a brighter headphone with a more detailled and refined sound.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 7
I'd go 558 for classical over the 518, and the E6 will do fine until you find yourself coming back to Head-Fi and being sucked into an endless money pit of $1000 tube amps for $150 headphones. The statement above by Digital-Pride about your wallet is our unofficial motto...

Where was I?

Oh yeah. The 558 is geared more for audiophiles than the 518, with a less bass-forward sound. It also has substantial improvements over the 518 in the openness of the sound, and will be a better fit overall.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Well, thank you all Gentlemen for your advice, I also made up my mind and decided to go for 558+E6. Although my wallet is not endless, I thik I will be able to enjoy some listening sessions indeed!

Thank you again and have a nice day!

Cheers,
Marco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back