Advice for new in-ears priced similar to gr8 or audeo pfe 112?
Jan 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cassiohui

100+ Head-Fier
Actually I'm not in US so that price is just a reference, but something that costs vaguely similar to phonak audeo pfe (original) or grado's gr8 would be fine.

i'm rubbish at using the "audiophile language" so i'll just mention my preference in earphones i've previously used.

what am i looking for? well i absolutely love the phonaks with grey filters, and i quite like the more lively(?! not sure if that's the right word) gr8 but if i can have either one for free i'd go for the phonaks.

also i quite like the ADDIEMs and while the bass is a bit too heavy i quite like the clarity or detail of the klipsch custom 3.

oh and so far i've tried a few shures, e.g. se535, se110, e4c, and i'm afraid i don't like any of those.

er6i's too clinical it seems, but i quite like the hf2, which sounds quite like the pfe's but not as good (imho)

I should also add I really LOVE the Grado headphones' signature as well. i was hoping the GR8 to have that signature, but i'm a bit disappointed

i really would love to get the gr10 or the pfe 232 but they're both a bit too expensive (more so for the 232)

I've lost my gr8's so i would need to buy another pair of earphones.

is there anything worth trying or should i buy another pair of pfe? my old pair was v0 and so the cables broke, but i heard the new v1 doesn't have the same problem so i'm willing to give it a try again.

thanks for all the advice!

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 5
any...um...suggestions? i mean i CAN buy the pfe's again, but i'm just wondering if there's anything else that's worth tryingout~

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 5
I still consider the PFE1's to be among my favorite BA's, within their price range. Hence, I'd recommend purchasing the PFE's again, which you've already come to own and love, so you really can't go wrong. If, however, you really wish to try a different in-ear, I'd recommend the GR07, which I'm also sure would suit your liking. It's well balanced, and highly accurate, and also happens to represent one of the best dynamics out there, within it's price range. Nonetheless, the PFE still gets my first vote, with the GR07's a close second, for the type of signature you're after. All the best, my friend! 
smile.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 5
thanks for your advice! however i must admit after reading the thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100/150 the yamaha eph-100 sounds very attractive as well - from the posts it doesn't sound very much like the pfe admittedly but does sound like the gr8.

too many choices and too little money (and ears!)

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 5
alright, been trying the new sony's and i'm actually rather intrigued by the xba-1. seriously considering that as my next pair! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back