Advice for my first purchase (looking at TF10 + Fiio E17 for commute/at work listening)
Aug 27, 2012 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rebutl

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

So at the title suggest, I am looking to get step up and get some decent gear, which I plan on using on a fairly regular basis. I'm looking for any advice or opinions regarding my selection of IEMs. I am a bit of a newbie, so hopefully the information below might enabled some advice to be passed back to me. 

Main Use: I really want something that will be good for my commute to work each day on the train, as well as for use at work and home while on the computer. 

My Reasoning: I am looking at the E17 because it is supposed to be a pretty good amp, is portable enough for my needs, and I can utilize the DAC at home/work while using my computer. As far as the TF10s go, I have been reading lots of good things, plus their current price point is very appealing now that they are around $170 new. Overall, this IEM + amp combo would run me about $300 which is the price point I would like to stay around. 

My Concerns: I have heard a lot about the fit of the TF10s, and one of my main concerns is that they won't work in my ears, or won't be comfortable for extended listening. I don't know of anywhere I can actually go and try these things out, so I will be buying online without a chance to feel how they fit. I also heard that the cables that come with the TF10s are not the most durable. I would be brining these things around with me quite a lot, and while I am careful with my gear, I want to make sure they are not to fragile.  

My listening taste: I listen to a wide range of music, but I would want to make sure I have something good EDM and Rock/Alternative. 

So through my research, this is the setup that I have been looking at. If anyone has feedback regarding this, recommendations about other gear, or just general advice, I would really appreciate it. 

Thanks

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
und $170 new. Overall, this IEM + amp combo would run me about $300 which is the price point I would like to stay around.   
My Concerns: I have heard a lot about the fit of the TF10s, and one of my main concerns is that they won't work in my ears, or won't be comfortable for extended listening. I don't know of anywhere I can actually go and try these things out, so I will be buying online without a chance to feel how they fit. I also heard that the cables that come with the TF10s are not the most durable. I would be brining these things around with me quite a lot, and while I am careful with my gear, I want to make sure they are not to fragile.  

The TF10 is not necessarily uncomfortable...the problem is the fit and getting a good seal.    Some people work out with them, so it all depends on the shape of your ears.  I would buy them used from the sales forum...if you are not satisfied (with sound or fit) you can always sell them back and get all your money back.

I listened to TF10s all morning (borrowed my friend's pair) and I had no comfort issues.  I'm using GR07s now and the seal definitely feels more secure.   Comfort is about the same with both.

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 8
It willbe good combo and UE TF10Pro stay in outer ear like Bose IE2 and they can fit in most ears. But if you want great clarity and more secure fit then Etymotic HF5, Klipsch Image X10, RE0 or RE-ZERO witth JDS Labs C420 AMPs willbe amazing too.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

The TF10 is not necessarily uncomfortable...the problem is the fit and getting a good seal.    Some people work out with them, so it all depends on the shape of your ears.  I would buy them used from the sales forum...if you are not satisfied (with sound or fit) you can always sell them back and get all your money back.

I listened to TF10s all morning (borrowed my friend's pair) and I had no comfort issues.  I'm using GR07s now and the seal definitely feels more secure.   Comfort is about the same with both.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check out the GR07s, I want something with a good seal so I can get a decent isolation while commuting. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 8
 ortofon e-Q5 is amazing all rounded earphones. Possibly at 200 price point is my favorite. Isolating and sounding very balanced all across the spectrum. Many reviews out there just no such a popular item on headfi definitely worth at least to read about it.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
It willbe good combo and UE TF10Pro stay in outer ear like Bose IE2 and they can fit in most ears. But if you want great clarity and more secure fit then Etymotic HF5, Klipsch Image X10, RE0 or RE-ZERO witth JDS Labs C420 AMPs willbe amazing too.

The TF10 Fits nothing like the ie2 I have owned both and the ie2 is more of an ear bud while the TF10 is definitely an in ear. I recommend fully you go ahead and purchase these. For a first real headphone you will be blown away.

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
The TF10 Fits nothing like the ie2 I have owned both and the ie2 is more of an ear bud while the TF10 is definitely an in ear. I recommend fully you go ahead and purchase these. For a first real headphone you will be blown away.

Thanks for the recommendation. Based on the feedback in this thread, I think I am sold on the TF10s now. As you mentioned, they will be my first real headphones, so I'm sure they will blow me away compared to what I have now. Can't wait to get my hands on these, thanks everyone

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 8
Did you end up getting this setup, TF10's and Fiio e17?

I just replaced my UE super Fi3's with TF10's and am liking them so far.  I'm considering the e17 as a dac/amp and was curious if you have any reviews with the 2?

- Destin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back