Advice for fledgling audiophile!
Oct 4, 2023 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Harhar321

New Head-Fier
Greetings all, I'm glad to be joining this community, I have a lot to learn!

Recently I've taken a baby step into the audiophile space. I have moved up slightly from portable and gaming sets, which I still enjoy in their context (Sennheiser Momentum 4, Bose QC II, Razer Kraken V3 Pro).

I just obtained a small cheap DAC Amp; it's a Douk P1 bluetooth tube preamp. I also picked up the Drop-Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee headphones to go with them. I run them through my Windows 11 PC. I know this is a rudimentary entry-level set-up but I'm aleady loving the tweaked sound of these HD 58x's vs. my consumer grade headsets.

My question for the experts is, what is a good upgrade to my cheapo DAC Amp and HD 58x that won't break the bank?

I'm looking into the $200+ range for an amp and $300-$500 for the headphones. Still a pittance but I have to start somewhere. I'm disabled on a fixed income so I have to budget well and choose wisely.

Im looking forward to any advice. I'm feeling overwhelmed by my choices. Thanks all!

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 25
Welcome I have an HD58X and many others. An upgrade on a budget would be the swapping out the foam to one from a hobby store or cloth that's less dense. It'll lift the veil and bring out more detail. Even a $9 Apple USB to C adapter will make those sound terrific. I use one on the phone with the Simgot EA500 IEMs and they sound great.
The hd58x are nice, but the dense foam in the ear cups holds them back.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 25
Sounds like you're off to a good start! Do you have a sense of what you find lacking from your setup now? It was hard for me at the beginning of my audiophile journey to know what kind of sound I was looking for, but it really informed my purchases. Then of course I would be surprised when something came along that was totally different from what I thought my preferences were that changed my mind, but in general, I knew what I was looking for and it was a good guide through all the products out there.

From there - depending on if you're looking for more detail, more bass, more separation, more soundstage - different recommendations might make more sense.

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 25
Hi,
If you are enjoying the contrast between your other gear that is really positive:)
Have you tried out any free trials from streaming services with higher quality files yet?
Yes indeed. I use Tidal mostly but I'm doing the free trial on Qobuz so I've been using both. I will probably stick with Tidal. I like some of the features in Tidal better than Qobuz and they both have hi-res. I am totally hearing the difference with 24 bit audio on the hd 58x.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 25
Welcome I have an HD58X and many others. An upgrade on a budget would be the swapping out the foam to one from a hobby store or cloth that's less dense. It'll lift the veil and bring out more detail. Even a $9 Apple USB to C adapter will make those sound terrific. I use one on the phone with the Simgot EA500 IEMs and they sound great.
The hd58x are nice, but the dense foam in the ear cups holds them back.
Yes I plan to mod them.

One reason I got these hd 58x is that they are supposedly so moddable. I'm getting used to their stock form right now before I start changing them. But I already got fabric to replace inner pads.Thats supposed to lift the veil, as you say, according to an online posting. Currently I'm experimenting with eq in Equalizer APO trying out settings.

So far I'm enjoying getting the most out of these headphones.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 25
Sounds like you're off to a good start! Do you have a sense of what you find lacking from your setup now? It was hard for me at the beginning of my audiophile journey to know what kind of sound I was looking for, but it really informed my purchases. Then of course I would be surprised when something came along that was totally different from what I thought my preferences were that changed my mind, but in general, I knew what I was looking for and it was a good guide through all the products out there.

From there - depending on if you're looking for more detail, more bass, more separation, more soundstage - different recommendations might make more sense.
I feel like I am still learning the differences. I haven't heard a lot different headphones but I really want to try out more.

The soundstage on these hd 58x's are notoriously narrow so I want to try some with wider presentation. Beyond that I'm not sure. I hear the hd 650s are similar sound signature to these (which I really like) but are more refined. I need to try those out. I was told I'd really like the Beyer Dynamics DT 1990 Pro as well.

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 25
I feel like I am still learning the differences. I haven't heard a lot different headphones but I really want to try out more.

The soundstage on these hd 58x's are notoriously narrow so I want to try some with wider presentation. Beyond that I'm not sure. I hear the hd 650s are similar sound signature to these (which I really like) but are more refined. I need to try those out. I was told I'd really like the Beyer Dynamics DT 1990 Pro as well.
In that case, I’d highly recommend something from Hifiman to check out. The planar sound is different from dynamics in many ways and it may give you an idea of soundstage and detail compared with the 58X. The Sundara would be a great stepping off point. I personally can’t stand the DT1990 due to the intense treble peak.

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 25
In that case, I’d highly recommend something from Hifiman to check out. The planar sound is different from dynamics in many ways and it may give you an idea of soundstage and detail compared with the 58X. The Sundara would be a great stepping off point. I personally can’t stand the DT1990 due to the intense treble peak.
Thanks for the advice! I'm aware of the Sundaras I'll have give them a closer look now. I had heard some mixed reports about Hifiman in general (poor quality control) but generally praise for these headphones. Im very interested in trying the planar sound.

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 25
I'm looking into the $200+ range for an amp and $300-$500 for the headphones. Still a pittance but I have to start somewhere.

Schiit Asgard 3. I wouldn't upgrade the headphones yet, just give it a cleaner, more powerful signal. When you do get the jones to upgrade the headphones to get wider if not also deeper imaging that one has enough Class A power for a Sundara or K702, or Focals. You've got enough Class A/B power still for anything that has lower sensitivity than those.

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 25

You may want to consider the 650's or 6XX's driven by a decent tube Amp. The Focal Elex have a similar sound signature but are more detailed with a fuller soundstage and are fairly easy to drive. You can always upgrade amplification/DAC in the future if desired. Both of these options should run you under $600. Good luck with your search.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 25
Thanks for the advice! I'm aware of the Sundaras I'll have give them a closer look now. I had heard some mixed reports about Hifiman in general (poor quality control) but generally praise for these headphones. Im very interested in trying the planar sound.
Yeah good luck! As long as you get them from somewhere with a return policy you should be fine. Hifiman may have a reputation for poor quality control, but their customer support has always been very good in my experience.

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 25
I have 7 HiFiMan headphones and other than a few cable problems and a Focus A pad that came apart no problem with any of them. My oldest I bought used 9 years ago . Have the Sundara’s as well and wouldn’t be a bad choice in a first planar.

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 25
In the $300 range it's also worth looking at the ATH-R70X, which is ultra-comfortable, very natural sounding and by most accounts has a better soundstage and detail than Sennheisers. I was weighing Sundara and ATH-R70X and reading about the comfort convinced me; happy with my choice.

It was designed to improve on the HD650.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

Best price is from Thomann (though they do add shipping to that $275). https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm

It does need an amp. Your current one may be enough -- I'm not familiar with it -- but I run mine with either the VE Megatron ($56 shipped to US) or a Schiit Magni 3.

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #15 of 25
Schiit Asgard 3. I wouldn't upgrade the headphones yet, just give it a cleaner, more powerful signal. When you do get the jones to upgrade the headphones to get wider if not also deeper imaging that one has enough Class A power for a Sundara or K702, or Focals. You've got enough Class A/B power still for anything that has lower sensitivity than those.
Thanks I will check out the Asgard 3.

The world of amps and DACs is more confusing to me than headphones. That's why I got a relatively cheap all in one option for now since it's got a good bang for the buck and OK sound.

It really makes sense to look at amps first, since these hd 58x sound surprisngly fine to me; better than even pricier models. And with eq and modding options I could stay with these a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back