Advice for first audiophile headphone
Mar 19, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #31 of 47
Saw that too, but it the review seems so biased that it is impossible for me to trust it. He literally didnt mention even one gripe or con, so it is way to obvious that he is paid to do that review.

I'm glad you said what I'm thinking.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #33 of 47
Saw that too, but it the review seems so biased that it is impossible for me to trust it. He literally didnt mention even one gripe or con, so it is way to obvious that he is paid to do that review.

I think that's being pretty cynical toward VMODA to say that they're buying good reviews.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #34 of 47
I vote for the beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80 ohm
Lots of sub bass and good soundstage

Careful with the DT770s, though. If you find yourself listening to hip hop and want to EQ the bass up, they'll start distorting. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #35 of 47
It's out of your desired price range, but it seems like the Shure 1540 could fit the bill nicely. I've heard mixed comments about the bass—maybe over emphasized and a little bleed but quality, powerful bass. I'm thinking of picking them up myself...

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #36 of 47
I think that's being pretty cynical toward VMODA to say that they're buying good reviews.

Aye, I doubt V-Moda would feel either the need or the desire to "buy" good reviews. The review itself does make one wonder if the reviewer has ever heard any other headphones. I mean, no headphone is perfect.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #37 of 47
Aye, I doubt V-Moda would feel either the need or the desire to "buy" good reviews. The review itself does make one wonder if the reviewer has ever heard any other headphones. I mean, no headphone is perfect.

TBH it makes me wonder if he really heard the VMODAs or if he just listened for five minutes and thought a glowing review would get some traffic. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #38 of 47
TBH it makes me wonder if he really heard the VMODAs or if he just listened for five minutes and thought a glowing review would get some traffic. 

^ this ^

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #40 of 47
I've got a pair of Shure SRH840's that are pretty good. Nice bass and reasonable soundstage, particularly for closed cans. Very comfortable too but with that comes bulk and a feeling that they might fall off your head at any moment, so not ideal for outdoors. Still, good sound for the money.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #42 of 47
Sony's always tend to be good at bass. Occasionally they're good at other frequencies too. Denon get a good reputation too.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #44 of 47
Hey everyone,

I have owned my first pair of headphones for a year now, the beats pro's. Yes i know these are overpriced and that's why im here. These had a problem with the channels so i sended them in for warranty and got a brand new sealed box back. Im pretty sure i will be able to sell these just under full retail price, wich leaves me with about 300 euros ( i live in holland ) to get a new set of cans. I had been lurking around on head fi for a while, so im just 98% noob lol. Anyways, i got the beats mainly for durability and bass, so i didnt really care back then. Now im in the market for a good quality set of audiophile grade headphones. But... I have some very specific requirements and i have lost my mind searching for headphones, but have still not been able to find something wich i would be statisfied with. So here im asking for some advice on wich headphones to get. I need headphones wich are :
Durable ( really important )
Have a good amount of tight bass with a lot of impact without bleeding over to the mids too much
Good looking ( subjective i know, but if it looks good out of your pov its okay)
Comfortable ( pleather makes my ears sweat like hell )
Big soundstage and good instrument separation
Removable cable ( preferably nice and thick with a locking mechanism )
At least 50mm drivers
Foldable and/or with protective case
Closed back is needed, but im wondering if im able to take an open back and just slap a metal plate or something on it with some sound isolating material and glue.

Impedance isnt really a problem as im willing to use these with an amp, but im not willing to spend hundreds of euros on an amp. Feel free to recommend an amp too.

If the recommend cans are really good im willing to go over those 300 euros, but not too much ( think 350-400 ) .

Also note that euros are not the same as dollars ( so dont rule out headphones above $300, its actually a lot higher in dollars )

The Sennheiser Momentum is a great option, in that price range, however the drivers are less than 50mm, not that it hurts the sound quality.

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #45 of 47
Is there a reason the drivers need to be above 50mm? That's like saying you want a new car as long as the displacement is above Xcc—yes, it affects the performance but larger doesn't always necessarily mean better. (Just trying to understand the criteria in order to help out better)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back