Advice for earphones - Phonak PFEs or Future Sonics M8
Jul 20, 2009 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

A_Dying_Wren

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I'm a bit new to this whole hi-def sound. My current set-up is a CX300 plugged into a noisy N91. I do intend to change the N91 to something more modern but I'll probably only go so far as smartphones for my portable music needs. I live in Singapore and its not terribly easy to get or try earphones. soundearphones.com is probably the best I can do.

I'm considering really stepping up and getting some proper earphones. I've looked at reviews of the Phonak PFE and the Future Sonic M5/M8 and both seem excellent. Which should I opt for or should I really just get something more along the lines and budget of the vibes? Are there others in this rough budget I should consider?

I listen to an assortment of music -
  1. some jazz along the lines of sonny rollins, miles davis and count basie,
  2. alternative rock like evanescence, death cab for cutie, muse, kasabian, snow patrol
  3. and various tracks I just happen to like

Thanks guys

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 8
Well, my CX300's bass is a bit too overwhelming for me. I dunno if that means much though since these earphones are supposed to have way overpowered bass.

How would the M8 compare to the CX300 in terms of the strength and quality of the bass?

Edit: Also, how do the Phonak and the M5/M8 compare besides the quantity of bass?

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 8
Bump. Can anyone help please?

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 8
as said before, totaly different earphones, one is warm and bass rich, (the M5/M8) while the other has better highs and clarity oriented, but might sound more flat and less fun,

it depends on the type of music and sound signature you like,

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 8
These happen to be the two mid-fi IEMs I have owned
smily_headphones1.gif
(well, I have the m5 but that doesnt matter :p)
I had the phonak first but it did not suit my tastes too well so it got returned.
I now have the m5 and love it.
The phonak is a more refined IEM, more detailed, more accurate, more clinical sounding. The highs are stellar, the mids are great, and the bass extends fairly deep (not as deep as the atrio) and is very accurate, however is (relatively) small quantity. Amping is said to help a bit.
However it has an issue with cracking/chipping plastic, which entitles you to a free replacement, however it is something to consider. The cable also has no strain relief.
It can definitely use an amp to improve the sound quality a lot, especially out of weak sources.
It has a no-questions-asked 2 week return period after purchasing them from the audeoworld website if you don't like them or if they get the chipping defect (like mine got) and you wish to get a full refund, which I took advantage of with no problems.
The Atrio is a much more relaxed, fun, warm sounding IEM. It is not as detailed as the Phonak, but (for me) was much more enjoyable to listen to. It can be considered a dark sounding IEM, with deep powerful bass (yet not overwhelming) and slightly forward smooth mids. The highs are slightly rolled off, but what is there is smooth. One thing to note is that the Atrio is a dynamic IEM and the Phonak is a BA IEM, and they therefore sound different due to their nature.
The Atrio has a much larger soundstage than the Phonak, almost as large as some full sized headphones.
Due to the fact that you will likely not want an amp and listen to relaxed music I would go for the Atrio.
If you were fine with using an amp I would suggest you try the phonak if you could.
**I did not have an amp when I tried the phonak, so my experiences are unamped. Amping is said to greatly help.
Also, I would suggest you look around the For Sale forum here on head-fi, as it is a great place to buy quality used gear at great savings over new. It is also a great way to get a hold of items that are hard to get in your country.
If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask me
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps,
Ethan

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks Aevum and ethan. I guess it'll be the Atrios then. I can't afford for the PFEs to fail on me in Singapore. Anything'll sound detailed and clear after the cx300s.

I'll check out the For Sale forum out although paying for it will be a bit difficult living with parents.

I see that you've (ethan) also amped up your atrios. Does that help the sound significantly?

Thanks guys.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 8
I used to, but what help it did provide was so insignificant I just did without the amp eventually. Being a cheap FiiO it seemed to just colour the sound more than it did help (as atrios don't need amping with decent sources). I'm sure with a better amp there would be better improvement, but for now I just do without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back