Advice for Comfortable Cans - Max £250
Sep 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

EddieE

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all,

As I'm new here, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in, it looked right anyway...

This is my first and probably only thread here as I can't justify buying any more audio gear for a while after my planned next purchase!

Looking for some advice. I know you guys are recognised as the experts so I'm interested in your thoughts.

The Budget:
Upto £250 at the very most for the perfect phones for me, but the less the better.

The Need:
Comfortable cans for indoor, around the house, extended use.

Player:
Cowon S9

Amp:
FiiO E5

SQ Preferences:
My IEMs are Phonak Audeo PFEs (grey filters in) and with the S9 that is the perfect sound for me at the moment so that should give you a good reference of the sort of sound I'm looking for. Nice amount of bass without overwhelming, really smooth mids and nice crisp highs that aren't too intense. Great all rounders. I listen to a broad range of music so they need to suit all styles really. They get a bit sore after a few hours, hence looking for some high quality comfortable cans for home use.

Candidates:
Research has led me to four options. Looking for some feedback about which might suit me best:

Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD600
Audio Technica AD700
Beyer Dynamic DT880

Any other suggests outside this quartet are cool too.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 7
Mate, any phone costing 250 quid is going to be waaaay over capitalising on a portable player and a Fiio, which is nothing more than a loud button. Proper amps aren't about volume, they're about providing power to run phones that need it. Volume is a by-product.

HD600 will need a desktop amp/possibly a good quality portable to perform to potential.
DT880 will need a very good desktop amp to perform anywhere near potential
AD700 are crisp, nice detail but light on bass. Will run off a portable probably a bit easier than 595. But they sound very different.

If you're not going to spend a penny on source and amping, I'd pull your budget way back down and go for something that is designed for a portable player.

Grado's do this well, but depends whether you like your music bright, punchy and top end rich (some find them harsh sounding, might be too intense for your taste). They also fire up best with rock; they like guitars and drums. If you're in the UK though, Grado prices suck there.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mate, any phone costing 250 quid is going to be waaaay over capitalising on a portable player and a Fiio, which is nothing more than a loud button. Proper amps aren't about volume, they're about providing power to run phones that need it. Volume is a by-product.

HD600 will need a desktop amp to perform to potential
DT880 will need a very good desktop amp to perform anywhere near potential
AD700 are crisp, nice detail but light on bass. Will run off a portable probably a bit easier than 595. But they sound very different.

If you're not going to spend a penny on source and amping, I'd pull your budget way back down and go for something that is designed for a portable player.

Grado's do this well, but depends whether you like your music bright, punchy and top end rich (some find them harsh sounding). They also fire up best with rock; they like guitars and drums. If you're in the UK though, Grado prices suck there.

I actually started off looking at Grados, but reviews I read spoke about the extreme highs. I'm one of those people who find too much high a bit too intense and want something a bit more all around.

Pulling budget down sounds good to me, I'm not out to bankrupt myself!

So if you wouldn't recommend any of models I mentioned, and bearing in mind I think the Grados would probably be a bit too much in the top end, what would you personally recommend for a set of comfortable full size headphones?

Another thing I'd say is that my budget for indoor listening is £250 - that can include a c-moy or something if you reckon I'm on a loser without a beefier amp?

Cheers boss.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 7
ESW10, ESW9 if you can't find them. Comfortable = LOOKS great, sound great very suitable for portable.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Comfort wise, the audio technica AD series is superb, they also sound good out of a portable amp,unlike the beyers and hd600, IMO highly recommended for your needs.

The 700s are cheap but are supposed to be a bit bass light, i have the AD900 and i think the bass is good, similar to Grado cans, fast and tight rather than deep, whether you'll like that kind of sound or not is up to you.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 7
Cheers Ra97oR,
They certainly do look great!

The 10s are sadly well over my budget (over £300 in the UK).

9's are within it though. Is there a big difference in quality between the two, and what sort of sound are they?

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks Meliboeus as well, will have a reasearch into all the suggestions. I'm off home now (on the net at work heh). Keep recommendations coming.

Really do appreciate the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back