Advice for Center Channel - Match? Change Fronts?
Jul 6, 2016 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ksweene5

100+ Head-Fier
Hello HF,

I have a pair of Infinity Primus p363's for my front R/L. My system is powered by a Yamaha Aventage A-830. My sub is a Klipsch downfiring 12" I really like the Infinity's (especially at the price, $100/per), but finding that damn matching center channel (PC351) is close to impossible. When they do pop up, and it has been a while, they are at least $180 or so. My sub is a Klipsch downfiring 12" (the 12HG).

I really want a center, as I don't have one now. All I ever seem to read is "match your front speakers" -
- Would a Primus PC251 be a close enough match to the 363s?
- Or, if I'm not going to match the exact series, should I just opt for a well reviewed center in the same MSRP price range?
- Or, would I be better suited to find a matching front set of a different brand and move my 363's to the rear? (current rears are some older Bose small bookshelf units, so likely the primus would be an upgrade back there)

Any recs on setup/brands is appreciated. TIA

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 5
See item #2 in this speaker FAQ: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1628561-basic-speaker-setup-faq.html.

So the PC251 is likely to be a good match. Although consider that the PC351 will have better power handling if you like to run your setup very loud.

Towers can work very well for surrounds, although a lot of people have trouble getting the placed properly so that drivers are not blocked by furniture, which is one reason bookshelf sizes speakers are often used. The other being that surround speakers are mostly for fill in, so people don't often want to invest in towers when bookshelves will often do the job.

I wouldn't think about upgrading my front LCR, though, unless you are willing to seriously upgrade and spends some bucks.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the info. That link pretty much aligned with best practices I've read.

I hardly ever crank up my sound, so I wouldn't anticipate the pc251 to be an issue in that regard. I can pick one up locally for $80.

I'm going to keep trying to track down a pc351, but the$80 alternative 251 might be hard to pass on.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 5
I'd go for it for $80 unless you are ready to put $500 into a new front soundstage, which seems to me the minimum, price point where you could probably feel like you are getting an upgrade. And for $80 if you later change your mind, you can likely turn around it and sell it for most of what you paid for it.

Be aware that placement is very important for a center channel to work properly. For instance, if you stick it on a shelf, it must be at the edge of the shelf or reflections can really muddy the sound. And you want to make certain the tweeter and drivers are aimed at the listening position if it is placed much above or below ear height.

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 5
I would look for one on ebay....................actually first I would look at a $500 Subwoofer, you won't regret it
biggrin.gif

I voted for the PC, it is labeled "Primus" and looks similar, it might even be exactly the same and may have replaced the older one in their line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back