Advice for buying first IEMs
Jan 10, 2010 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lewis82

New Head-Fier
Hi,

After having used only cheap earbuds for years, I decided to take a step into sound quality and purchase IEMs. They will be used to listen primarily to prog metal, but also some rock, "classic" metal and jazz.

That would mean: not too much bass. More bass over the earbuds would sure be appreciated, but I'm not listening to techno/hip-hop. I would prefer something very balanced, with good output in all ranges.

So I have narrowed my choice to 7 models:
  1. Klipsch Image S4, which are the ones I'm the most interested to due to good reviews
  2. Shure SE115 and SE210 (but I heard they are too bassy)
  3. Ultimate Ears SuperFi3 and SuperFi4
  4. Etymotic Research eR6i and hF5 (altough the triple flange doesn't seem very comfortable)

The common point is, they are all below 120$.

I was really considering to buy the Kilpsch Image S4, but according to you, are there any models which would be better?

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 8
Here's my choice: Klipsch Image S4 plus a good third-party ear tip (either the Shure "olive" black foam sleeves designed for the Shure SE series IEMs or the Comply Foam T-100 or Tx-100 ear tips).

I have the Image S4i with the Tx-100 ear tips and they sound really good, with good ear fit (they don't fall out easily like you have with the oval ear tips provided by Klipsch), excellent isolation and improves the bass quality.
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back