Advice for best NYC subway headphone?
Feb 7, 2002 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

jjjonah

New Head-Fier
Rather not spend $300 on Bose headphones (let alone ANY headphones for commuting), yet I keep coming back to them. Has anyone found a truly better solution to block out noise while not disturbing others around you?

Seems Etymotics can do little wrong among users here -- while Bose is bashed about. Yet I tested the ER-6's and the Bose -- and I disagree with the user that posted a comparison between the two marking the Ety's ER-6 as favorable. The subway drowned them out completely, and the sound was what I would call "gimmicky" -- while the Bose blocks noise and provides more detail than I think I've seen them given credit for here. Granted I did not use an amp (which the Bose comes with) but with an amp, the price of any Ety's goes way, waaay up, plus the comparison did not mention using an amp.

(For home, have also tried the Senn 600's which are amazing -- but they are obviously not a subway headphone.)

Advice? appreciated ...

Feb 7, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 43
How can you simply "test" etymotic headphones? it's well known that, more often than not, it takes a few weeks to get the fit right....

But, when that happens, the isolation will be a lot better, as will the transparency, details, bass, etc...

Anyways, if you need a big subway headphone, go with the HD280 Pro. Else, get the ER6. Otherwise, get the ER4P. Next question?

Info's hearsay.

Feb 7, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 43
im going to go right ahead and tell all the head-fi members to save their breath (or finger strength).......and just move on....

I know i know....he says he actually LIKES bose....but theres lots like him....

"you cannot help someone who does not want to be helped"

Feb 7, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

For home, have also tried the Senn 600's which are amazing

Take it from someone who knows and loves those phones that the Ety ER4S has very similar sound. So IF the ER6 sounds similar to the ER4 (as many have claimed), and you are in fact unimpressed with the ER6 sound, the reason is quite likely that you are not getting a good fit with them.

Feb 7, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 43
Let me re-enforce the notion that it takes time for you and your ears to get used to the feel of etys. When you don't have a good seal and when they cause pressure in the ears, they sound terrible. When I first listened to them, I wondered what all the hype was about. Now, after a few months of use, they sound much better (probably because the become much less noticable as they are used more and more), and because they offer an unrivaled feeling of departure from the outside world. One must be very careful not to listen to etys in an environment that isn't secure for this very reason. 'Hope that you will give them another chance. They deserve it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also-Welcome to head-fi.

Feb 7, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 43
Well, if this helps, i use the Sony 7506 for the train, F train be to be exact. It blocks out sound 'ok' but it definitely doesnt seal out that blasted noise, especially when the train feels and sounds like its gonna jump off its rails...lol. Damn F train. I use it with my MD walkman and for the most part it works out well. I think those ety's are the way to go though. IMHO.

Feb 7, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 43
wandering around NYC subways with any phones costing more than $30 is a formula for heartbreak. High incidental attrition due to closing doors, other riders, protruding backpacks etc.

I use my Senn MX500s. If they bust, oh well, $18 down the drain. A more isolating choice is the new Senn 202s which I bought today for $30. These give at least some acoustic isolation and also sound very good, at least in my preliminary opinion. As good as the ER6 is, it's still a $117 set of phones that will cause your eyes to mist over with tears when some dolt pulls the cord out of em with his umbrella tip on the cattle car 6 train.

Incidentally, some trains are quiter than others. The sealed car lines like the F, R, and most A trains are much quieter than the rattlebox 7 or 6 trains...Maybe you can plan your commute accordingly!!!
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 43
The 7506's can take a beating, hell i've been using them since last May without incident. The F train is actually quite noisy compared to the D or Q. The A and C are also pretty quiet. Also, it would help to be a considerate passenger and stand towards the middle of a section of seats...farthest away from the doors.
wink.gif
HeeHee

Feb 7, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 43
Hey, Gloco, I have the V6 (which I think is pretty similar to the 7506) and I agree with you that it is very sturdy in general, but it has those little wire loops that kinda hang out at the top of the phones. Don't you kinda worry about them?
confused.gif
I get all squeamish at the thought of one of those getting snagged on something!

Feb 7, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by delenda est Sony
Hey, Gloco, I have the V6 (which I think is pretty similar to the 7506) and I agree with you that it is very sturdy in general, but it has those little wire loops that kinda hang out at the top of the phones. Don't you kinda worry about them?
confused.gif
I get all squeamish at the thought of one of those getting snagged on something!

LOL, delenda, they are the same can. They even look the same. I actually saw someone wearing the V6's at some music store on Bleecker street about 2 weeks ago. I was wondering if it might be a headfier. The wires dont really worry me at all. I don't throw the cans around or anything. Also, being that its NYC, if anyone gets too close on the train i just push them away
biggrin.gif

The pouch also comes in handy when i'm out for the day.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #12 of 43
Look I take the train alot here especially the E and 7 lines which are extremly loud for trains. I just got the Ety 6's one word....bliss... Although it doesn't totally isolate you like the ety's would, they do block out almost ALL the sound around you when the music is on. Finally I can hear my music and not the stupid convosations. They also sound great and I've had them now a week and they been just getting better for some reason. I think eventually I'll get the 4p because I really do like the way it sound and their a neccesity in NYC train system.

I don't think they sound gimmicky or anything they sound great. Now there could be a number of reasons why you think they sound "gimmick" and don't like them.

First off I really think Ety's has a pretty big learning curve have them a week and still can't get a really good seal but am getting better and so is the sound.

Now Ety sound is something you got to get used to because it isn't like other headphones. This is especially true with bass production. Now many people have said that they sounded thin in the bass...well hell no. The bass is all there and it goes way way low with out distortion. I think people now adays are just used to overwhelming bass. Also Ety make drums sound awesome for the first time (even though there the ety 6) I hear the high hat how it should be. So if you looking for something with bass heavy bass or something that just rattles your ears then you won't like the ety's. I finally also listening to music in safe levels in the train...i used to crank up the volume quite alot to hear stuff on the train which isn't smart thing to do.

Give the another try there just going to get better with time trust me.

Feb 7, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 43
I've got the Ety 4S, and I love 'em for the subway. I used to have the 7506's but they got too bulky and would make your ears all sweaty in the summer. If you use the clip on the cable to attatch to your shirt/jacket, you'll have no problem snagging people or umbrellas while navigating the tunnels of Manhattan.
The ambient noise reduction is a godsend and works wonders on airplanes as well.

I've got them hooked up to a Total Airhead and Panasonic CT470 portable CDP.
The city never sounded so good.

Feb 7, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #14 of 43
If you are use to listening to typical consumer headphones, the ety's sound absolutely horrible. When I first tried the ER-6, I thought there was no bass. After burning them in for two weeks, I can hear a lot of bass, but the bass is very different experience. I can't go back to my old headphones because their bass is loose and out of control compared to my ety's.

And the other strange thing is that you can't feel the bass. After reading this many times on these forums, I tried to listen to the bass from my Ety er-6 when I first got them. My ears automatically told me the bass was completely missing. It took me three weeks before my ears have readjusted to the sensitivities of the ER-6. Only then I can hear the bass loud and clear.

Feb 7, 2002 at 8:29 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by jjjonah
Seems Etymotics can do little wrong among users here -- while Bose is bashed about. Yet I tested the ER-6's and the Bose -- and I disagree with the user that posted a comparison between the two marking the Ety's ER-6 as favorable. The subway drowned them out completely, and the sound was what I would call "gimmicky" -- while the Bose blocks noise and provides more detail than I think I've seen them given credit for here. Granted I did not use an amp (which the Bose comes with) but with an amp, the price of any Ety's goes way, waaay up, plus the comparison did not mention using an amp.

If there is any headphone with "gimmicky" sound, it's the Bose NC.

If the subway is drowning out the sound from Etys, you don't have a good seal. If the sound from Etys is "gimmicky," you don't have a good seal. If the Bose have more details, you don't have a good seal.

Anyone else seeing a pattern here?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back