Advice for affordable setup for noob.
Apr 7, 2017 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gunk

New Head-Fier
I'm new here. I'm hoping to get a little guidance.  I really don't know much about this high end stuff. 

So, I want to spend about a $100 on some earbuds to get some higher sound quality and I'm wondering about the affect the source has on sound quality. I'm not going to be buying a $500 DAP so my question is, will there be a significant difference in audio quality from listening off my old Samsung Galaxy S3 compared to a DAP like the...

Mini XDUOO X3 HI-FI Music Player JZ4760B Chip 24bit/192khz HD format Audio Player Lossless Music Player Black for 2 pcs 128G Memory Card.

Also, would you say the 1more Triple Driver earbuds are a good choice for the $100 price range?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 14
For a $100 there are many good earbuds out there. The 1 More triple driver has some good reviews, so it could be worth considering. I used the HiFiMan RE-400 in the past myself and I think their sound is great for under $100. There are many other options and nowadays I prefer buying IEMs (In Ear Monitors) with removable cables, as that open up more possibilities and the cables are the most vulnerable part of the IEMs anyway.

The source does have an impact on sound quality and the Galaxy S3 is quite mediocre for music playback. The largest step is from a standard phone to a budget DAP. After that first step, the differences are much smaller.

For the price of the XDUOO X3 HI-FI, I would rather get the Fiio X1 2nd generation, but with either of those, the sound quality will definitely improve.

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 14
+1 on the 1More Triple Driver. I would add to that the RHA MA750 and the very good Beyerdynamic Byron (considerably less expensive and a bit of a step down in sound quality, but still, a very good value). You might read about those and see what you think.. Perhaps one will work for you.

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 14
  HiFiMan RE-400 are a fantastic starter, as are the Trinity Audio Vyrus or Vyrus 2.

I read the Head-Fi reveiew on the Trinity Vyrus and it looked pretty good to me. I like that you can change filters for a different bass experience.  I will probably use them when I workout at times so having some IEMs that can put some bass out is desirable. For some reason, bass and working out go together for me. haha.

Only thing is, I can't see the Vyrus for sale anywhere...  discontinued?

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 14
So, I've been looking at different portable amps. I'm thinking about just using my Note 4 as a source and pairing it with a DAC/amp.  

I'm looking at these two possible options...

Fiio Kunlun E18 for $105. It has the DAC built in.

and 

Cayin C5 for $130. 

From the reviews I've read, the Cayin can deliver some pretty good sound quality. However, I'm of the understanding that to achieve optimal sound quality with it, I will need to purchase an adapter like the HiFiMeDIY Sabre Android USB DAC for $50.

I guess my question is, is the sound quality that much different with the Cayin compared to the Fiio E18? The cayin will be $180 with adapter compared to the E18 at $105.  

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has a perspective or experience to comment on this.

Thanks.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 14
I would just wait for the IEM to come in first, and test whether your phone can run them without an issue. The differences between a different DAC/Amp is quite little, assuming your source device can run them without a problem (eg: no noise, sufficient power, etc). Also, I personally don't like stuffing a bunch of bricks in my pocket, so I would recommend looking at maybe the Dragonfly Red or Dragonfly Black too since it's much more compact.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 14
I would just wait for the IEM to come in first, and test whether your phone can run them without an issue. The differences between a different DAC/Amp is quite little, assuming your source device can run them without a problem (eg: no noise, sufficient power, etc). Also, I personally don't like stuffing a bunch of bricks in my pocket, so I would recommend looking at maybe the Dragonfly Red or Dragonfly Black too since it's much more compact.

Thanks for input

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 14
  I'm new here. I'm hoping to get a little guidance.  I really don't know much about this high end stuff. 

So, I want to spend about a $100 on some earbuds to get some higher sound quality and I'm wondering about the affect the source has on sound quality. I'm not going to be buying a $500 DAP so my question is, will there be a significant difference in audio quality from listening off my old Samsung Galaxy S3 compared to a DAP like the...

Mini XDUOO X3 HI-FI Music Player JZ4760B Chip 24bit/192khz HD format Audio Player Lossless Music Player Black for 2 pcs 128G Memory Card.

Also, would you say the 1more Triple Driver earbuds are a good choice for the $100 price range?

Any input is appreciated.

My S3 had bloated  bass on every IEM I tried with it, plus it had a gain issue on my most efficient IEMs (this has since been fixed by a software update), but the convenience of being able to answer calls without pulling the earphone out and the hassle of lugging aroound another device was what made me keep using it. Also, Neutron Music Player can correct the bloated, boosted bass, and if necessary, treble spikes. Plus the S3 and the Note 3 that replaced it had docks that allowed for USB audio into my desktop DAC-HPamp.

I haven't seriously considered replacing my Note 3 and Note 4 until the Fiio X5III, which runs on Android and has WiFi, so I can use Neutron Music Player and Spotify if I need to (the latter though won't have Adapt Sound, so I'll still use my smartphone for that primarily).

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 14

My S3 had bloated  bass on every IEM I tried with it, plus it had a gain issue on my most efficient IEMs (this has since been fixed by a software update), but the convenience of being able to answer calls without pulling the earphone out and the hassle of lugging aroound another device was what made me keep using it. Also, Neutron Music Player can correct the bloated, boosted bass, and if necessary, treble spikes. Plus the S3 and the Note 3 that replaced it had docks that allowed for USB audio into my desktop DAC-HPamp.

I haven't seriously considered replacing my Note 3 and Note 4 until the Fiio X5III, which runs on Android and has WiFi, so I can use Neutron Music Player and Spotify if I need to (the latter though won't have Adapt Sound, so I'll still use my smartphone for that primarily).

Have you ever tried an amp with your Note 4 or S3 to know if there is much difference in sound quality?

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #14 of 14
  Have you ever tried an amp with your Note 4 or S3 to know if there is much difference in sound quality?

That depends on what the amp is driving. On IEMs, D-Zero MkII (connected via USB OTG) is cleaner than the S3 without EQ, but EQ-ing with Neutron is a lot easier than strapping anything to the phone. Note 3 vs Note 3>USB OTG>D-Zero MkII, no difference. 

it matters more if the headphone was something like the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back