Advice for a warm sounding dac-amp combination (budget)
Feb 13, 2021 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

damascato

Member of the Trade: Marco Custom Cables
Hey guys,

I have a Topping D90-A90 stack, which sounds just amazing with most of my headphones, but not great with my Audeze LCD-3 Fazor: highs are harsh and borderline piercing.

Therefore I am looking for a relatively cheap Dac/amp to go with them and make the most of their sound. Or maybe just an amp to use with the D90? Or just a DAC to use with my A90?

I need your expertise here :)

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 9
You should start with all-discrete headphone amplifiers. They have a more "natural" and "musical" sound than from your a90 that is a chip-based amplifier

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 9
You should start with all-discrete headphone amplifiers. They have a more "natural" and "musical" sound than from your a90 that is a chip-based amplifier
Do you have any suggestion? :)

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 9
If it were me I'd source a Liquid Platinum and if you're not into tubes possibly a Liquid Carbon to pair with your dac. Cavalli amps are smooth, detailed and laid back but no sleepy sounding.
You can usually find either on here under $450. Carbon even cheaper.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 9
Check out Burson’s lineup. You can have an AIO device (Conductor line) or do a stack (Soloist + Composer). They sound very natural and far from harsh with great imaging and dynamics. And they sound powerful.

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Holo Cyan was a great warm R2R NOS DAC and amp combo. I agree though that just getting some tubes into your stack will do the trick. I used the Liquid Platinum with the LCD-3 a long time ago. Currently I have a Lyr 3 that sounds wonderful on its own!

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #9 of 9
Hey guys,

I have a Topping D90-A90 stack, which sounds just amazing with most of my headphones, but not great with my Audeze LCD-3 Fazor: highs are harsh and borderline piercing.

Therefore I am looking for a relatively cheap Dac/amp to go with them and make the most of their sound. Or maybe just an amp to use with the D90? Or just a DAC to use with my A90?

I need your expertise here :)

R2R dac.......or get the LCD-3 pre-fazor....nothing harsh about that headphone, smooth as a good milk chocolate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back