Advice for a Noob (ATH-M50 +Amp)
Jan 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

todis522

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, very new to this site and to this scene in general.

I am looking to upgrade to a nice pair of over-ear headphones. As of now I've been using a pair of in-ear Sennheisers but I really like over-ear better. I have a job that allows me to listen to music at my desk, and I am currently going to college, so I would like a nice pair that I can bring with me.

Through my brief research I have seen a lot of love for the ATH-M50's. It is my understanding that I can find these around $100 and that's right around what I want to spend. I know there are better headphones, but I'd really like to keep it around $100-$125, if possible.

As I researched further I found out about portable amps, which I previously didn't even know existed. The FiiO E07K Andes seems to be a very popular choice here, because of a DAC being built in? (not entirely sure what this does yet, would love some clarification).

As someone who is very new to this, I would love some help on whether or not I need the amp, and if the M50's are a good choice for a first over-ear nice headphone purchase. I have never used an amp before, so I don't really know what to do with it. All of my music listening will come from an iPod 80GB Classic, or my Windows laptop. Outside noise will never be too raucous, if that matters.

It is my understanding that the M50's are bassy. If I'm wrong on this please correct me. However, I don't listen to too much hip hop or electronica. I mainly listen to indie/alternative, metal/punk, some folky stuff, and more rock-style music. I do have the occasional hip hop album that I like to listen to, but it's definitely not my most listened to genre.

With all of the above info, any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated. If anyone needs any more info in regards to my situation or preferences, just ask!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 11
A DAC basically replaces your computer's sound card with a higher quality one that runs on USB. The E07K is well regarded in its price range. Yes, the ATH-M50s are kind of bassy and have somewhat suppressed highs. Other headphones in that price range to consider are:

Sennheiser HD280Pro
Sony MDR 7506
Sony MDR 7510
Sony MDR V6
Sennheiser HD5x8
Sony MDR X10
AKG K240
Shure SRH440
Pioneer HDJ1000/2000
KRK KNS8400
Sony MDR XB800
Denon AH D400
Koss PortaPro DJ
Koss Pro 4A
Koss ProDJ200
Fostex T50RP

and so on. There's a good beginner's buyer's guide on this page to get an idea how each of those sound.

The ATH-M50s are decent headphones but I find them kind of too dark and boomy for my tastes. They are quite comfy tho and decent as portables. See if you can find somewhere like a Guitar Center to trial some of the ones listed above. 

At the price range you're looking at you are usually better off spending a little more on your headphones than on an amp. Going up to $200 on your headphones gets you into the slightly higher level of headphones where sound suddenly starts to get a lot cleaner and crisper. I'd suggest spending an extra $50 to $100 now on headphones and get something like Shure SHR840 or Beyerdynamic DT990 or Sennheiser HD25-II, Vmoda M80s etc. Again see if you can try some out somewhere.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for all that info, that's a lot of options. Very helpful.

I researched a lot of those options you listed and I really like the Shure's, both the 199.99 and the 99.99 options. However, I read that some people find the plastic to be a little flimsy. Is this something that anyone can deny/confirm? I would be using these a lot so durability is important.

That's a great tip about Guitar Center, I had no idea they had such a huge selection of phones. Even their website is pretty stacked.

I just don't know if the sound quality between a $100 and a $200 pair justifies the price being doubled. Guess I'll have to go listen in person to find that out!

If anyone could comment about the Shure headphones, I'd appreciate it. Any brands really. I like how they look and people say they're great, but I am concerned with the few claiming they are made of "cheap plastic".

Finally, I read about how some pairs need "burning in". I guess people would play music nonstop through them for like a week? That sounds very strange to me. Is this just something that is common in higher end headphones?

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 11
  Finally, I read about how some pairs need "burning in". I guess people would play music nonstop through them for like a week? That sounds very strange to me. Is this just something that is common in higher end headphones?

It is a ritual that I do. I select 10 different music tracks and play them with flat equalizer setting. The volume setting just above my normal listening level. I do this for 40 hours. However, not continuously..... Perhaps for 4 or 5 nights (8 to 10 hours per night).

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 11
  Thanks for all that info, that's a lot of options. Very helpful.

I researched a lot of those options you listed and I really like the Shure's, both the 199.99 and the 99.99 options. However, I read that some people find the plastic to be a little flimsy. Is this something that anyone can deny/confirm? I would be using these a lot so durability is important.

That's a great tip about Guitar Center, I had no idea they had such a huge selection of phones. Even their website is pretty stacked.

I just don't know if the sound quality between a $100 and a $200 pair justifies the price being doubled. Guess I'll have to go listen in person to find that out!

If anyone could comment about the Shure headphones, I'd appreciate it. Any brands really. I like how they look and people say they're great, but I am concerned with the few claiming they are made of "cheap plastic".

I recently owned the SRH840, and I really liked it.  It was durable enough for my use, although I was always very careful.  However, I do think that dropping the SRH840 or improperly folding it could definitely break part of the plastic.  If you take good care of it, you should be fine.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 11
It is a ritual that I do. I select 10 different music tracks and play them with flat equalizer setting. The volume setting just above my normal listening level. I do this for 40 hours. However, not continuously..... Perhaps for 4 or 5 nights (8 to 10 hours per night).

Is there a specific reason for doing this? Does it make them sound better for some reason?

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 11
I recently owned the SRH840, and I really liked it.  It was durable enough for my use, although I was always very careful.  However, I do think that dropping the SRH840 or improperly folding it could definitely break part of the plastic.  If you take good care of it, you should be fine.

Thanks for that input. I would be really careful with them, since they're a hefty investment for myself. So long as they aren't prone to damage from normal safe usage at an office or on a trolley, I'll be good.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 11
Is there a specific reason for doing this? Does it make them sound better for some reason?

Some people think it makes a difference, some people thing it's all in your head. I'm in the camp that thinks it's all in your head. So far no one has ever produced a scientific study verifying that burn in actually occurs to any noticeable effect. But I'm willing to accept such evidence if it ever appears. 

There's a whole thread on it here

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Interesting, thanks for the thread link. I'll read up on that tomorrow when I've got some good time to spare. I think I'm going to head to a Guitar Center tomorrow and sample some models out, then give some impressions based on that. It should be easier to narrow it down a bit.

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 11
I have had multiple headphones. Koss porta pro dj are great, enjoyed the shure and sony xb. I'm researching amps to use on ath m50 right now. for my personal preference I like the m50s, I loved them before I knew how popular they were. they're on my head right now and I got them for 65 bucks new at a local pawn shop. I knew my friends loved the m50 for recording music and mixing and such, and I knew I could use these for portable use. Great set cans for the price of them, even at 130-140 on ebay in my personal opinion. my friends have headphone amps that I'm going to test out. One has a DAC, and the other doesn't. I'll update when I know what models they are. I'll be testing them through different things such as a stereo, drum kit, ipod touch, and computers and various recording equipment.

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 11
  I have had multiple headphones. Koss porta pro dj are great, enjoyed the shure and sony xb. I'm researching amps to use on ath m50 right now. for my personal preference I like the m50s, I loved them before I knew how popular they were. they're on my head right now and I got them for 65 bucks new at a local pawn shop. I knew my friends loved the m50 for recording music and mixing and such, and I knew I could use these for portable use. Great set cans for the price of them, even at 130-140 on ebay in my personal opinion. my friends have headphone amps that I'm going to test out. One has a DAC, and the other doesn't. I'll update when I know what models they are. I'll be testing them through different things such as a stereo, drum kit, ipod touch, and computers and various recording equipment.

Update, one of the amps is a FiiO E11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back