Advice for a noob: amp price cap $170
Dec 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mabus627

100+ Head-Fier
Like the title states I'm in need of advice. I've lurked these forums for a little while now (2ish weeks). Reading, absorbing, giving a little input on somethings I know a thing or two about,and more reading. I'm still scratching my head on what to get in terms of a headphone amp. Come Christmas, I'll be getting Shure 440's and a new Zune 80gb. Since, I've solved the headphone issue, I need to solve the amp issue. An obvious thing is it needs to be in the price range of ~$170. I don't much care about bells and whistles, but a huge helper for me is that it has a recharging circuit, because buying batteries is not an option for me, buying rechargeable batteries is an option, but I'd rather not buy them. I've looked around at a few amps, looked at recommendations, and reviews from both this site, and the rest of the web. I've found a handful that I have my eye on: iBasso D2+ Boa, Nuforce Icon Mobile, PA2V2, iBasso T3, iBasso T4, Practical Devices XM4, and the Mini3. I'd personally love to have an Alo Rx, but heh... way out of my range.

TL;DR version:

-Portable
-price cap of ~$170 ( can exceed this if shipping is what makes it exceed )
-rechargeable battery, and charging circuit
-drivers Shure 440's nicely
-noob friendly
-Willing to buy from people of these forums
-Used or new, doesn't matter, just needs to be working ( hours doesn't matter either )

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 7
I think it is weird to spend more on the amp than the headphones at this price range. I suggest you return your 440's, and buy a higher end headphone like the ESW9 or something that dosn't need an amp.

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 7
It isn't me that is paying for the headphones. its my grandmother. Her limit to me was $100. Also, I didn't say I had to spend the full $170, I'd prefer that I didn't truthfully.

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 7
My first amp is the AMB Mini3 and I love it! Well it is still my only amp, but I've listened to many different desktop and portable amps when I have the chance from friends or meets.

Anyway, it's a good deal since you can probably find a used one for 100-120ish on the forum, and you can find a builder of a new one on AMB's site. One of my friends contacted a builder from AMB's site and his quote was around 160 for High Performance, which is not a bad deal.

You will have to get a rechargeable 9V though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back