Advice for a newbie
Aug 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BassHead94

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I have only recently (within the last year) started exploring the world of audiophilia, and I must admit I quite enjoy it. I currently have Sony XB-1000, MDR-X10, Bose QC3, and set to arrive next week I will have the Bang and Olufsen H6. As my Sony's and my username may suggest I am a bit of a bass head, but I also thoroughly enjoy classical.
My real question is should I hold on adding any more headphones to my collection and save up for a good amp? I currently use a cmoy amp with bass boost from JDSLabs.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 12
Normally I am not a bass guy, but since the H6 has NO bass at all, you need to either EQ or use a bass booster amp for it.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 12
Well the H6 are primarily for my classical/acoustic moods. I predominantly use my computer or phone to listen to music. This is why i have the headphones i have, because they are capable of operating well with or without an amp. The reason I fear stepping up to a mid to high end audiophile headphone is the price of the amp. I worry that I will fork out between $700-$1200 for the headphones and then pay equally, if not more, for an amp to fully appreciate them.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Well the H6 are primarily for my classical/acoustic moods. I predominantly use my computer or phone to listen to music. This is why i have the headphones i have, because they are capable of operating well with or without an amp. The reason I fear stepping up to a mid to high end audiophile headphone is the price of the amp. I worry that I will fork out between $700-$1200 for the headphones and then pay equally, if not more, for an amp to fully appreciate them.

LOL, welcome to Head-Fi.  You can't avoid it, so you may just as well do it.  What kind of budget and setup are you looking for?  Do you need a DAC/AMP combo or AMP only?

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 12
I use my AQDF as reference and I am sure you will like it.  Although the Sony PHA-1 is a DAC/AMP combo, it sounds pretty much identical to the AQDF in DAC mode, and it is a pretty good amp.  As you know that the AQDF is $250, the PHA-1 is $350 only $100 more.  I know FiiO has a lot of fans, but the AQDF is very hard to beat at its price range, well worth a try.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 12
Yeah, seems as if my ADD won't allow me to save more than $400-$500 before I see a pair of headphones I like. I will take a look at those DAC's and see if my budget allows me to purchase one.

One more question, any advice on a good headphone stands?

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 12
If you don't need a portable DAC/amp, check out the Schiit Modi and Magni separate DAC and headphone amp. That would work well for powering your phones :)

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
If you don't need a portable DAC/amp, check out the Schiit Modi and Magni separate DAC and headphone amp. That would work well for powering your phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Or you could go for the O2+ODAC which will drive most mid-fi phones. 

Yep, keep forgetting the SMM and O2 for some reason.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #12 of 12
I second the recommendation for the O2. I have two now, one for the office and one for home, even though it is transportable. I think its a great, all around amp and will service many headphones well. I actually like it quite a bit with the HD600. Improving your amp to an O2 will satisfy almost every headphone except the planardynamics. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back