Advice for <$2K SS amp/dac/preamp
May 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

geremy

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to buy an 'all-in-one' high end headphone amp/dac/pre-amp combo. My current contenders are:
1) Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp/DAC
2) Grace Designs m902
3) Meier Symphony

Must have USB input and pre-amp out. Ideally I would like DAC rate indicator lights (which the headroom does not have) and both 110V & 220V capability (which I'm not positive the m902 has, but it appears to from photos). I would also like 24bit/96 KHz USB if possible (I know you have to use the m-audio transit for the headroom). Of course I want the best sound! I am fairly sure I would be happy with any of these, but would appreciate some advice. I would prefer neutral sounding with maybe a hint of warmth but nothing excessive. I also appreciate crossover. Headphones that I will definitely be using with it are the SA5000 and the 325is. I appreciate bright phones but don't really want to add to the brightness. I am considering an HD 800 purchase but want to see what the first batch of owners have to say after a couple of months.

I'm sure that there are other contenders in the price range, but my searching has come up mostly empty so far. Any help or experiences would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back