Advice - Burson HD160 + Asus Xonar Essence St or Burson HD160D DAC/Amp combo
May 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #16 of 28
Congrats :) Do share your impressions and a pic or two when it arrives. I'm browsing for a DAC myself and we have the same soundcard so I'm interested to hear how big a jump it was for you. Also, while I'm not sure, I think it would be good to use the ST's SPDIF out instead of your motherboards, since the ST will help decrease jitter. 

May 18, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
Congrats :) Do share your impressions and a pic or two when it arrives. I'm browsing for a DAC myself and we have the same soundcard so I'm interested to hear how big a jump it was for you. Also, while I'm not sure, I think it would be good to use the ST's SPDIF out instead of your motherboards, since the ST will help decrease jitter. 

Good point about the ST spdif output.  I was going to sell the asus card but I may just hold onto it for just that reason.  cheers

May 18, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #19 of 28
There is one thing that I would very much want to know the answer myself too - is using the coaxial out from Essence ST better than that of a good asynchronous USB to SPDIF converter?

May 18, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
UELOVER -- I will report back with my findings after I test the two options out.

Haha thank you. But you don't intend to buy any USB to SPDIF converter right?

I have yet to come across someone on head-fi who owns both that I could ask of their impression =)

May 18, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #22 of 28

Quote:

Haha thank you. But you don't intend to buy any USB to SPDIF converter right?

I have yet to come across someone on head-fi who owns both that I could ask of their impression =)

Ohh I missed the usb to spdif bit and just say usb .. selective reading on my part.

I was just going to test whether the spdif on the essence st was better than connecting via usb hehehehe

May 19, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 28
The HA160D has a USB input that is both asynchronous and galvonically isolated - guaranteed no more than 10ppm jitter - this USB input sounds fantastic and can do 24/96 . . . sell your Sonar and use the USB input on the Burson.

May 19, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #24 of 28

Quote:
The HA160D has a USB input that is both asynchronous and galvonically isolated - guaranteed no more than 10ppm jitter - this USB input sounds fantastic and can do 24/96 . . . sell your Sonar and use the USB input on the Burson.

Compare first then sell. No hurry =)

May 23, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #25 of 28

Quote:

Although 6moons claims this it simply isn't true, and is a mistruth that Burson is happy to let flourish.  Read here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/550328

As for Essence ST vs HA-160D DAC, I've tried ST ->HA160 before and it sounded, well, like the ST but warmer, duller and thicker.  I have played around with many (IC) opamps on the ST and never found one that could provide a level of performance comparable to my current NFB-10ES setup.  The ST lacks extension detail, imaging, soundstage (just about everything) compared to a better DAC.

Don't depair though, the ST might make a pretty decent digital transport.

May 24, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #26 of 28
hmmm . . .. I did not realise that this was not the case (re:USB input) . . .
I have emailed Burson and hopefully will get a response back to clarify this . . . .. 
I do know that the HA160D on USB sounds a whole heap better than the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, or the Musical Fidelity V-Dac . . .
 . . . on Coax, whilst they all sounded different, the difference was not as great on USB.

Secondly . . what do you mean the Sonar XT as a transport ?
. . .surely the Hard drive is the transport, the XT is the Digital-->Digital converter. . .
I believe the less conversion (hardware or software) going on, the better things often sound, hence my suggestion of using the USB input (up to 24/96) rather than the Sonar converting to Coax.

Of course, the most fun (and proper HeadFi) thing to do . . . would be to compare and have a listen to the two options, and then share your findings  :)

In my experience with USB and firewire DACs (CA DAC MAgic, Mackie ONYX 24/96, Edirol PCRA30, Linear BCL, MF V-Dac, NuForce uDAC + others)
I find the Burson is an excellent choice straight from USB (or any other digital input .  . .). . . haven't tried analogue ins yet.

As long as we all enjoy our music, and don't get bogged down in "mine's better than your's", then differences of opinion are welcome and valid.

Happy listening!

Simon

May 24, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #27 of 28
@bfwiat: To get digital signal to HA160D, you will need an USB cable.

Or, you can tap onto the coaxial output from Xonar and pass digital signal to HA160D via a coaxial cable.

There are many reasons why coaxial is better. You can google around and will be able to find that answer.

May 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #28 of 28
i had asked in another thread but it went unanswered. this appears to be a very high end headamp/dac but for little money. would that be correct? i mean can it go against an apache and da924 for instance? i am being serious because i really don't know. it looks like top of the line.

edit: ok, i can see why i was not taken seriosuly. i read around here it is a mid level amp. sure looks nice. apparently no ic's is not the best there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back