Advice Bluetooth headphones (around 50 euros)
Feb 17, 2017 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Diegobit

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'd like to try Bluetooth headphones for the first time, I'd like to find some good enough affordable portable headphones (around 50 euros). I'm not an audiophile, but I'd like not to hear bad music :p (I had good experiences with Xiaomi Pistons 2, EarPods, Superlux HD681EVO)

I have an iPhone 7 (hence the interest in Bluetooth), so I'm looking for some AAC compatible ones, since after some research I found out that it should be better than SBC.

I'd like to have a good battery life, so I was thinking about on-ear headphones, some have 15hr, some even 30hr, while in-ear ones have 5 to 7 hours. If the battery life is enough then I don't think I'd need the jack output, but I never had Bluetooth headphones, so I'm not sure.

I was thinking about 4 models:

1. Pioneer SE-MJ561BT-S
54 euros, 15hr battery life, AAC, but people complain about a weak
2. Sony MDR-ZX330BT:
66 euros, 30hr battery life, AAC, Bluetooth version 3 (does it matter?)
3. Philips SHB9250:
74 euros, 16hr battery life, unknown AAC support, possible to connect two devices simultaneously, jack output
4. Philips SHB3060BK:
45 euros, 11hr battery life, unknown AAC support

I was oriented on the Pioneer ones. Do you have suggestions? Good/bad experiences?

P.S. I live in Italy, the prices I used are from the store I'd like to buy them in.

EDIT: price fixed, added note about Bluetooth 3

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 2
In the end I tried both the Pioneer SE-MJ561BT-S and the Sony MDR-ZX330BT and I'm keeping the latter.

Impressions:

Pioneer SE-MJ561BT-S
1. very small, very nice looking and solid;
2. I immediately noticed the difference in sound, everything is more... gloomy...
3. annoying feedback sounds, the one when trying to increase the volume above the maximum level;
4. volume buttons control the device's volume;
5. not able to see the battery level on the iPhone widget.
Unfortunately I only tried them briefly.

Sony MDR-ZX330BT
1. a little bit bigger; definitely cheaper looking;
2. I think they sound better, I struggled hearing the difference when using them with an iPhone. They sound a little worse on my laptop (SBC), for example I can hear cracks in the middle of Comfortably Numb from Delicate Sound of Thunder on Spotify (EDIT: I think it was a macos bitpool issue, I increased it and I no longer hear it)
3. pleasant feedback sounds;
4. volume buttons control the headphones dedicated volume;
5. not able to see the battery level on the iPhone widget. They tell you the battery level while powering them on;
6. you cannot listen to music while charging them;
7. you can set the audio quality from the headphones;
8. the multipoint connection can be only used to connect a device for music and another for phone calls, NOT your laptop and your phone at the same time. Anyway, disconnecting them before connecting them to the other device is not so bad;
9. I was worried about the Bluetooth version (3) but the connection well, the connection is stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back