Advice appreciated: Next upgrade from original LCD-2?
Feb 14, 2021 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

keithc

Head-Fier
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I have been very happy after upgrading from Senn580 to the rosewood Audeze LCD-2 w/ XLR Wywire Red cables about 7-8 years ago. This is in a home office setup where all the music were digitally sourced from a computer. Recently, I upgraded the dac/amp from a Red Wine Audio Bellina tubed DAC/HPA to a fully decked out Vinnie Rossi LIO w/ balanced headphone output, and am thinking about adding the dual heated triode module to the amplifier so it has 300B; the caveat is that I would need headphones that are less sensitive than the LCD2s otherwise I might hear some tube hum.

With the Vinnie Rossi it also allowed me to get into vinyl. I added a Rega P8 / Apheta 3 which is entirely headphone listening as well.

Question is what is the next headphone to get? I haven't had enough listening time (esp nowadays) to know what is "missing" from the LCD2s, but I feel it is plenty detailed (love the planar magnetic clarity?), good slam and bass, etc. Maybe the treble can at times but a little thin. And maybe it can be a little more musical.

I've been reading about Rosson Rad-0, ZMF Verite, etc. Hoping to stay around $3k or less, and am unclear if the best approach is to try these at home and return w/ a restocking fee if I don't like them. Music is mostly pop/alternative (e.g. Counting Crows, Coldplay, DireStraits), large orchestral classical, female vocals (Norah Jones, Natalie Merchant, etc).

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 5
thinking about adding the dual heated triode module to the amplifier so it has 300B; the caveat is that I would need headphones that are less sensitive than the LCD2s otherwise I might hear some tube hum.

Not knowing the specs of the triode module and what kind of wattage it will put out, its hard to recommend a HP that is less sensitive than the LCD-2, and still be within the realm of what the module can actually drive with authority.

If youre looking at headphones that require mega amping, there is the:

HiFiMan HE6
Abyss 1266
Audeze LCD-4
Raal SR1A
HEDDPhone
off of the top of my head. Can your module drive any or all of these? I have no idea.

If youre looking for headphones that have a warm, musical sound, then youre on the right track with Audeze, as well as ZMF.
I would suggest the closed Verite over the open for your musical tastes. That being said, the Verite closed is pretty sensitive, and if there is tube noise coming from your amp, it most likely will be audible on the VC.

My question to you is why would you willingly add a product to your chain that is known to have noise? I have an OTL amp, and I occasionally get tube hum, but its always a case of bad tubes, as opposed to a bad amp.

Different amp designs, I know. Just a little confused as to what it is youre trying to accomplish.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for your response. Good questions and my response is below, looking forward to your thoughts:

1. The amplifier's balanced outputs are 2W at 32ohm nominal.
2. Adding the DHT stage does not actually change the output of the headphones, as it is actually upstream of the headphone amplifier; it's used as more of a tube stage rather than a power tube. It only changes the sound, and I'm thinking about DHT as I'm a tube head and have never owned SET. I love midrange and figured with the DHT it can bring more magic to female vocals, instruments, etc. The system is actually driven by an ultracapacitor bank so there should be very little to no electrical noise, and since I don't use speakers, hopefully there's no external effect / microphony.
3. Since I'm using vinyl and can't EQ, does that take out Audeze LCD-4? Not having heard any of these HP below, some folks indicate the LCD3/4 may or may not be a step up in all areas from the LCD-2....

Thank you.

Not knowing the specs of the triode module and what kind of wattage it will put out, its hard to recommend a HP that is less sensitive than the LCD-2, and still be within the realm of what the module can actually drive with authority.

If youre looking at headphones that require mega amping, there is the:

HiFiMan HE6
Abyss 1266
Audeze LCD-4
Raal SR1A
HEDDPhone
off of the top of my head. Can your module drive any or all of these? I have no idea.

If youre looking for headphones that have a warm, musical sound, then youre on the right track with Audeze, as well as ZMF.
I would suggest the closed Verite over the open for your musical tastes. That being said, the Verite closed is pretty sensitive, and if there is tube noise coming from your amp, it most likely will be audible on the VC.

My question to you is why would you willingly add a product to your chain that is known to have noise? I have an OTL amp, and I occasionally get tube hum, but its always a case of bad tubes, as opposed to a bad amp.

Different amp designs, I know. Just a little confused as to what it is youre trying to accomplish.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 5
Sonically an upgrade from the LCD-2 with 3k Budget sounds like Meze Empyrean to me.
However they are low impedance high sensitivity headphones which means you might hear tube hum if the amp is known to be noisy.

From what you seek in sound they should be right up your alley

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 5
2. Adding the DHT stage does not actually change the output of the headphones, as it is actually upstream of the headphone amplifier; it's used as more of a tube stage rather than a power tube. It only changes the sound, and I'm thinking about DHT as I'm a tube head and have never owned SET. I love midrange and figured with the DHT it can bring more magic to female vocals, instruments, etc. The system is actually driven by an ultracapacitor bank so there should be very little to no electrical noise, and since I don't use speakers, hopefully there's no external effect / microphony.
If im understanding you correctly, then what you are describing is a tube buffer. Im certainly no expert on the topic, but for the "full tube effect" that you seem to be seeking, a tube buffer wont get you there. Your best bet is to invest in a solid OTL and buy headphones that work well with OTL amps, which would be something 250 ohms and above.

3. Since I'm using vinyl and can't EQ, does that take out Audeze LCD-4? Not having heard any of these HP below, some folks indicate the LCD3/4 may or may not be a step up in all areas from the LCD-2....

I used to own the LCD-2, and I liked its sub bass, not much else.
I havent heard the 3 nor the the 4 so I cannot comment. Perhaps the LCD line does not have "a house sound"?

I went for ZMF headphones after selling my LCD-2. First the Atticus, which had similar characteristics to the LCD-2, similar tone, more mid bass, less sub bass. Then I moved up the ZMF chain. Now im quite content with the 2 Verites, which IMHO is game over gear. Couple them with an OTL, which I mentioned above, and most will agree its a hard combo to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back