Advice and help with DAP purchase between IBasso DX200 or FiiO X5 3rd Generation!!
Feb 19, 2017 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

drscagle

New Head-Fier
I am relatively new to Hi-Res digital sound coming from an analog background to many years ago. Getting up to date has been interesting and fun. I am blessed with a loving wife who is indulging my desire for a decent DAP. I have narrowed my choices between the new FiiO X5 3rd Gen or the iBasso DX200. I know they are both new to the market and I was hoping for some input from some of the experienced listeners here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, any advice on the best IEM for each unit, as I understand different IEMs work better depending on the player, would be helpful. I am considering the Sennheiser IE800 but I am open to advice. Many thanks in advance.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 4
I am relatively new to Hi-Res digital sound coming from an analog background to many years ago. Getting up to date has been interesting and fun. I am blessed with a loving wife who is indulging my desire for a decent DAP. I have narrowed my choices between the new FiiO X5 3rd Gen or the iBasso DX200. I know they are both new to the market and I was hoping for some input from some of the experienced listeners here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, any advice on the best IEM for each unit, as I understand different IEMs work better depending on the player, would be helpful. I am considering the Sennheiser IE800 but I am open to advice. Many thanks in advance.

This is an unanswerable question ?  Comes down to what you like, what you can afford, how good your hearing is and to some degree what you've tried before!!

You can get all the info/views on those two DAP's from the existing forum threads,

One regular HF member has done his comparison here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDhl5CEL14Y which baring in mind the DX200 is double the price says a lot.

As to IEM's, I've tried a few starting at £40 bracket going up to £1000 but people will have their favourites based on if the like analytical, musical, bass...... etc.  I still like my Klipsch X10's but rarely use since getting better.

Personally, I'm not moving from my Shure SE846's unless I can suddenly justify spending £1500+ on some Noble Kaiser Encore's 

Only real way to know is to try them for yourself. Don't overlook buying 2nd hand to get much better IEM's for your money. I got my SE846's for effectively half the cost of new from a Head-fi seller & they were mint condition (still are over a year later!). 

PS you need to read a lot on here to get a balanced view as there is a lot of "New Toy Syndrome" on here and others who just must have so much money they seem to buy everything then boost their ego's on the forums.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 4
One of my main concerns is my hearing as I am 60 y/o and at my last check in 12/2016 my range was 7Hz to 16kHz so I lost some of my highs!! As for the funds, I learned you usually get what you pay for, usually. I would love to spend less, who wouldn't, but I am willing to spend more for quality. Why save if you are unhappy with your purchase everytime you listen to it, if you know what I mean. I always love to save where I can, if I can and still get what I want. I guess I need to read some more posts as I was hoping for individual's experienced opinions. Thanks for the advice!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back