Advent 300 problem
Mar 1, 2007 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

larryminator

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I bought an Advent 300 off CanukAudioMart and it has a little problem: it has a background hiss (like sssssssssshhhhhhhh) and I was wondering how I could fix that. Capacitors? Filter? I'm listening to it with some RS-1. The sound is really nice but with song with long pause, I can really notice it.

Thanks

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Do you have a phone with higher impedance (> 200 Ohm) at hand? If yes, do you also get the hiss using that instead of your Grado?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Up any other trick to take out the background hiss?

You haven't given us enough information, I'm afraid. I've got one of these, it is bone stock. As a comparison, my AUX and tape mon inputs are totally silent with phones (600 ohm) or through speakers. With lower impedance phones (300 ohm) I do hear a slight "sssssh" when volume is maxed. The phono input is considerably noisier - audible "ssssh" when volume is about 3 o'clock regardless of phones or speakers.

-Does it happen on all inputs?
-Does it happen through the speakers as well as phones?
-What about when you don't have anything connected to the input (i.e. nothing to AUX, plug in the phones, turn it up)?
-How about plugging it into a different wall outlet, preferably a different house circuit?
-Move the unit to a different location in your house - does it go away then?

The Advent 300, while a great design, is old and suspectible to RFI and other types of interference - maybe that's what you're hearing. For example, if run a line from my computer soundcard to the 300, I immediately hear a bunch of background noise regardless of input on the 300 or regardless of whether or not music is playing out of the soundcard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back