ADVANCED GT-R Planar Magnetic
Nov 11, 2017 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

B9Scrambler

Headphoneus Supremus
ADVANCED is going to be releasing a new planar magnetic headphone soon, that being the GT-R, which has a proposed MSRP of 399 USD.

GT-R.jpg
Driver type : single-sided n48 planar magnetic
Driver size : 65mm
Driver diaphragm : silicone composite
SPL : 100dB±3dB (1KHz/1mW)
Impedance : 32ohm
Frequency response : 20Hz - 20,000Hz
Maximum input power : 20mW
Rated input power : 50mW
Cable length / type : 1.5m / detachable 2.5mm jack
Output connector type : 3.5mm jack

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 90
They reached out a couple weeks ago to see if I wanted to check them out, and ended up sending over a temporary loaner unit. I've had just over a week of time with them and have come away pretty impressed.

I’ve found the GT-R to have an aggressively forward mid-range that somehow doesn’t comes across shouty or sibilant. It just physically appears a couple steps forward of the rest of the signature which gives it a very unique presence. Other mid-forward products tend to lack something. Maybe it’s bass extension, or treble that rolls off too early. The Brainwavz B400 and AKG K553 Pro come to mind, both great products in their own right. The GT-R on the other hand gives me a wholly different experience and suffers from none of those quirks.

While vocals are extremely close and intimate, they’re backed by a vibrant upper range and a thundering, snappy low end that has no qualms digging into visceral sub-bass regions. The GT-R’s sound is also very textured and capable of picking out minute details, all placed within a deceptively large sound stage. I say deceptive because, track dependant, the forward mids make things more intimate than they really are. It’s like sitting directly in front of a vocalist while the rest of the band plays in the background, spread out across the stage. With no lack of clarity I find it to be a very engaging presentation, one I look forward to experiencing further over the coming week leading up to my final review.

The GT-R is also a very attractive headphone with clean, simple lines and a practical design. I love the all-black color scheme. It’s accented only by some subtle white text on each ear cup that quietly announces you’re looking at the Advanced GT-R and that it utilizes “Planar magnetic driver tech”. The subtle black and red knurled bands above the pivot points are a nice touch too. They let you quickly tell left from right, although I’m not sure it matters since the basic design is mirrored. Build quality is impressive too with great fit and finish. Despite being composed of mostly steel and protein leather, the GT-R is very light. The only plastic I could find surrounds the base of each ear cup. It has a smooth, matte, grippy texture to it that makes holding the GT-R a non-event, unlike the Susvara which tends to slip out of my hands.

The protein leather used on the floating, self-adjusting headband is of high quality. While lightly padded, I never had any significant issues with comfort or hot spots given the way weight distribution is handled. Clamping force is strong out of the box and the headband's self-adjusting mechanism a little too lenient. With movement, the GT-R always feels like it's about to slide down your head a bit, but it never does. These are two things that could use some fine tuning before release. That said, if they stay as is, since the head band loops are steel, the more daring of you out there could probably stretch it a bit to loosen things up further. Since this is only a loaner, I've been happy to let the clamping force loosen naturally with use.

While my experience with planar magnetic headphones is at this time limited only to the Susvara, the GT-R is feeling like a pretty strong offering. Looking forward to impressions from those that have heard it's direct competition.

20171103_121935_Film2.jpg 20171103_121956_Film2.jpg 20171103_122254_Film2.jpg 20171103_123054_Film2.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 90
Looks a like an AKG/German Maestro offspring with planar tech. I like the look.

@B9Scrambler when you said you only had experience with one planar, i expected you to say like ......400i , but when you said Susvara :xf_eek:

I'm willing to bet they are world's apart, but how far apart, can you speak on that? 8k planar vs this $400 planar. :D

200.gif

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 90
Looks a like an AKG/German Maestro offspring with planar tech. I like the look.

@B9Scrambler when you said you only had experience with one planar, i expected you to say like ......400i , but when you said Susvara :xf_eek:

I'm willing to bet they are world's apart, but how far apart, can you speak on that? 8k planar vs this $400 planar. :D

Still don't really get why they sent me of all people that beauty, but I'm not complaining. They're not really comparable. HiFiMan has a more expansive sound stage, a neutral sound, more detail, clearer mids, etc. It's pretty much what you'd expect from something costing 15x more. I do like the GT-R's build more though. The Susvara has the look and comfort down, but they don't feel like a 6K product. The GT-R is very solid and I like the cable a lot. It's just like the one that comes with the HE-350.

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 90
They say fully open, but I thought they looked more semi-open. They sound fully open once you get around the mids. Definitely more expansive than my other open backs, mind you they're all dynamics and less costly.
Thank you! How much sound do they let in? The main reason for me to use open ones at home is so I can still hear what's going on around me.

Nov 12, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 90
I look forward to your definitive review. They are nice looking. The question will be how they compare to other planars such as anything in the LCD series or HiFiman 500+ series. Otherwise 400 to 500 USD seems like an overreach.

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 90
I look forward to your definitive review. They are nice looking. The question will be how they compare to other planars such as anything in the LCD series or HiFiman 500+ series. Otherwise 400 to 500 USD seems like an overreach.

The GT-R will be available for $199 to very limited number of super early bird backers, then it will increase to $299. If we are successfully funded, the GT-R will retail for $399. Thanks for your interest!

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 90
I'm already signed up but I was suppose to be notified when the 747's were in stock and never received that notification so I have no faith in that system.
We actually received 747 in stock today and opened the website for sale few hours ago. Since the stock date coincided with our Kickstarter campaign, we have postponed the email notification for 747 for a later date. Hope you can understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back