Adrenaline junkies - sign in and share!
Mar 7, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
awesome; yes, my mom's family is from oslo and arendal, and i was born in oslo, but grew up here in the states; have gone to norway almost nearly every summer though, and a few winters including a special one in lillehammer
smily_headphones1.gif
i haven't climbed in norway, other than doing a little bouldering. my family has a cottage on an island near arendal called merdo

i'm tentatively planning a eu-rail type journey climbing after i graduate from college, and norway's definitely on the list. the troll wall looks interesting
rolleyes.gif
<--- btw, that's the perfect "oh, we're gonna climb that?" smiley ...

Hehe
smily_headphones1.gif
All the routes I climbed in Nissedal can be done in a day including the hike down the backside. It's pretty far away for everything though, so you'll probally need a car to get there. If you decide to go as far north as Norway and Sweden you should definetly check out Kullaberg. It's only an hour away away from Copenhagen with public transportation all the way and has an endless amout of routes.
If you really want to get some climbing done in Europe, I'd say go to Spain. Pre-bolted routes and hot sandrock, can't go wrong with that
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you even afford something like that? heck if you did one a week it'd take you over 40 years..................most base jumpers i see don't seem to be geriatrics
smily_headphones1.gif
or am i missing something? (wouldn't be surprising)

Yea, you're missing how hardcore some jumpers are
smily_headphones1.gif
Many jumpers make multiple skydives in a day. I've seen guys do upwards of 10. You can get on every load if you have the cash and pack your chute fast enough. Some dropzones in FL, CA, AZ are open seven days a week. Many jumpers don't go home on the weekends and most DZs have camping available.

As you guest it can be a very expensive habit. Jump tickets are about $20 a pop. That may have gone up since I stopped.

@Wake - There were always spectators out at my DZ. Find your local DZ and go watch and ask around. I went to my DZ injured once. I couldn't jump, but I still had a ball. Go out and watch all those high performance canopy pilots. They are the crazy ones and a sight to behold!

Edit: Actually, EVERYONE should do this. It would be a kick a&& way to spend a Saturday.

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, you're missing how hardcore some jumpers are
smily_headphones1.gif
Many jumpers make multiple skydives in a day. I've seen guys do upwards of 10. You can get on every load if you have the cash and pack your chute fast enough. Some dropzones in FL, CA, AZ are open seven days a week. Many jumpers don't go home on the weekends and most DZs have camping available.

As you guest it can be a very expensive habit. Jump tickets are about $20 a pop. That may have gone up since I stopped.

@Wake - There were always spectators out at my DZ. Find your local DZ and go watch and ask around. I went to my DZ injured once. I couldn't jump, but I still had a ball. Go out and watch all those high performance canopy pilots. They are the crazy ones and a sight to behold!

I have Looney tunes phobia that I have to get over for sky diving... I'm scared that I'll pull the chute and all that will come out is forks and pans
blink.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #35 of 43
I went to Wonderland for the first time last summer, let me tell you, going on the biggest meanest Rollercoaster for my VERY FIRST rollercoaster was one of the scariest/wickedest adrenaline rides of my life. I can still feel the nervousness and scared feeling of the coaster going up, up, up, up an incline, then getting to the top, moving slowly, slowly, slowly around a corner until I can see the rapid drop right in front of me, and suddenly the front of the car starts to dip down, I hear the people at the front of the coaster start to scream as I embrace myself for the same fate.

Wow what an adrenaline rush. I hit almost every coaster that day except one that was shut down. Next time I go I wanna hit that arch shaped ride that you have to pay extra for, the one where you are tied to the arch by a long wire, and then brought wayyyyy into the air and let go as you free soar like on a swing. Pretty exciting to watch people on it.

Man I wanna go back this summer..

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to Wonderland for the first time last summer, let me tell you, going on the biggest meanest Rollercoaster for my VERY FIRST rollercoaster was one of the scariest/wickedest adrenaline rides of my life. I can still feel the nervousness and scared feeling of the coaster going up, up, up, up an incline, then getting to the top, moving slowly, slowly, slowly around a corner until I can see the rapid drop right in front of me, and suddenly the front of the car starts to dip down, I hear the people at the front of the coaster start to scream as I embrace myself for the same fate.

Wow what an adrenaline rush. I hit almost every coaster that day except one that was shut down. Next time I go I wanna hit that arch shaped ride that you have to pay extra for, the one where you are tied to the arch by a long wire, and then brought wayyyyy into the air and let go as you free soar like on a swing. Pretty exciting to watch people on it.

Man I wanna go back this summer..

Coasters can bee pretty sweet but a very different flavor than some of the other stuff. Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA is probably my favorite... 5gs feels pretty nice
k1000smile.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #37 of 43
Oh well its nothing compared to that stuff. But I did hit the drop zone, probably one of the scariest rides I was on. One Tip, DONT LOOK DOWN. Man you get pulled up sooooo high (on the way to wonderland you can see the people in the dropzone being pulled up) and you can see the entire park from that view, then the announcer teases you with a little saying and suddenly your at the bottom in 3 seconds.

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #38 of 43
Mountain biking can definitely provide an adrenaline rush, depending on what kind of riding you do. I personally love DH and freeriding. Urban freeriding can be awesome too. There's nothing quite like pinning a big drop or clearing a big double. I've done drops up to 10 feet and gaps up to 25, which isn't huge compared to what some people do, but it definitely gets the adrenaline flowing. And in DH the speeds can just get so high on tricky terrain that it's a huge rush.

Oh, and skiing too. Skiing at your limits on difficult terrain is amazing.

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #39 of 43
I dont really count roller coasters because you are strapped in very safely so there is no fear for your life... but i did do some crazy ones in 6 Flags NJ

the biggest adrenaline rush for me is snowboarding. even watching videos or playing snowboarding games get my heart pumping. when i get on the slopes, it gets insane.

Mar 11, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #41 of 43
Does going 165mph on uncrowded public highways in the middle of the night count?

Obviously, that was when I was younger and dumber and didn't fully realise the dangers and consequences involved, especially at those speeds.

I guess the adrenaline rush there was the possibililty of getting caught by the cops, which would ultimately mean going to jail as well.

********* Now up to "today's" racing **********

I don't consider myself an adrenaline junkie, and my rushes usually only come from racing in my car ('02 MX-5 Miata), in the form of autocross racing on tracks now. The ability to get blasted by by a motorcycle, only to catch up and pass them in the twisties is great fun. And especially being able to learn and master the art of powersliding (NOT drifting) on my own to keep that speed just a little bit higher through those twisties, and exiting those twisties a little faster, to me is great fun and a nice little rush.

Of course, all of this will be greatly enhanced once I buy my new Honda S2000 and slap a supercharger (at only about 6psi) on it to help get the low to midrange torque of the motor to be stronger before the VTEC kicks in.

Certainly tame compared to the stuff you guys are doing, but plenty fun enough for me.

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #42 of 43
Skydiving - 1x

Skip Barber Racing School - 1x

Helicopter Skiing - 4x

All amazing things to get the heart going
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont really count roller coasters because you are strapped in very safely so there is no fear for your life... but i did do some crazy ones in 6 Flags NJ

the biggest adrenaline rush for me is snowboarding. even watching videos or playing snowboarding games get my heart pumping. when i get on the slopes, it gets insane.

Lol, I feared for my life the first time I went on a Rollercoaster, which was last summer, and I am 19... yeah I know... first time on a coaster at age 18, pretty sad.. but I definately feared for my life (I know it sounds stupid, but I was scared ****less).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back