Adobe Soundbooth Mastering Older Music Help :)
Mar 7, 2010 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

WaveRider69

100+ Head-Fier
Hey what's up
biggrin.gif

I was thinking of doing a little remastering to my older audio tracks particularly 1980-2000.

I am new to this software but not a total newb I'm familiar with editing and mixing in Cakewalk Plasma/Sonar.

First I was thinking of doing a bulk remaster if possible similar to the way you can create batch files in Photoshop and just let it run through your images. Is it possible to do this in Soundbooth to audio tracks?

Second if so, I want to just do a general enhance to these older tracks, what would be a good setting for this that could offer a nice gain but apply to many different recording qualities without going overboard and creating artifacts and distortion? I've been dabbling a little bit and the "energizer - aggressive" setting is appealing to me.

Last should I just save these files as original in 44.1 & 16? Or would there be any kind of a benefit to open them up a bit?

Also this part I can probably find online but I'll just throw it in here, does anyone know If there is a plugin to import FLAC? Yes converting to WAV is easy but you lose the media information in the process and given that I want to go through a large number of titles it would be much more convenient if I didn't have to retag everything (most especially the ratings that I've given them).

My main purpose of doing this is to bring the audio files up to speed as much as possible with newer stuff that is being produced. When I create playlists and such, anything that is sub year 2000ish the noticeable difference in audio quality affects the overall continuous vibe of listening and feeling the music so I want to create a more seamless audible playing field without needing to keep adjusting equalizers etc.

Thanks a million guys, any and ALL input/ideas/etc welcome in this thread.

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 2
Hey if anyone catches this I had figured it out. Adobe Audition does a good job at this, it has batch processing, and you can run multiple instances at once to take advantage of multiple cores.
biggrin.gif
Just thought I'd share
wink.gif

What I'm going to do is go through my albums and sort them in different folders in reference to the mastering commands I'm going to give them. Then all you do is go to scripts and hit record just like in photoshop, but the difference is while you're doing so have a file already loaded up all you want to do is record an instance of you applying the mastering/effects to your tracks, not the opening, closing, exporting, etc like in photoshop. Otherwise the modifications won't apply when you go to batch. Then go to batch processing and you can input all those additional commands there then just load the script and viola. Your newly mastered tracks start flying off into their own dedicated folders like hotcakes for breakfast. All original files left nice, neat, & untouched of course. Very good stuff!
biggrin.gif

I've tested a few already, this is going to work night and day wonders for those albums that just have that asbolute lack of "UMPH".
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back