Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.0
Feb 23, 2007 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HypnoLobster

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought and downloaded this last night ($200). I was pretty unimpressed for about 4 hours, then I started delving through the tutorials and such.

Wow is this impressive. I've been a film guy and I just recently got into DSLR's. It's like photoshop except it's beautifully streamlined and chock full of little features that make editing so amazingly easy and smooth.

If you're into digital, get this. It is very worth it.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 13
I use Photoshop for a vast majority of my visual stuff, including both photography and digital painting, but I find the features a bit clunky sometimes for quick photo processing...I might give this a try, it was featured in the latest Popular Photography.

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 13
I've been using the beta version for a while, and really like it a lot. The B&W conversion tool is especially nice, and the Tone Curve tool finally makes Curves a little more friendly. It's a bit hard to get used to having to import an image just so you can work on it, but eventually it pays off in that your photos are more organized.

I've used PS since version 4, and I think Lightroom is really what digital photographers have needed for a while now.

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 13
I tried it but it seems a bit heavy for my system. I think I am running out of memory (256mb).
frown.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 13
It won't even run on Windows 2000! Phooey!

Anyway, I won't be giving up Photoshop any time soon, I do far too much layer-intensive editing.

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 13
Yeah I've been eyeing the Lightroom v. Aperture reviews trying to figure out which to get. Will likely pull the trigger soon now that both are out, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Here's a nice Ars review for anyone who hasn't looked into Lightroom.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 13
Yep..

I'm hoping that it will eventually get the only other things I could use.. the lasso and layers. Despite lacking those two wonderful tools.. I still love this program. It is definetly a system hog. I have 2gb of memory, 3700+ and a 6800GS video card and it's a little choppy from time to time here, too.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I've been eyeing the Lightroom v. Aperture reviews trying to figure out which to get. Will likely pull the trigger soon now that both are out, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Here's a nice Ars review for anyone who hasn't looked into Lightroom.

When you do decide, can you post about your choice? Which one and why etc.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 13
Will do. Over the course of the next few days, both these guys will be comparing also. May be worth following.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 13
I've tried out the betas, and I just got a free copy since I used to have Rawshooter, but I haven't tried out the final release yet. That said, although it looks promising, it's far too bloated and uncustomizeable (is that a word? lol), and the crop tool felt really weird. I don't remember much else.

I recommend you also try Bibble. I've tried most everything and found it to be the best, and I have ~65k shutter actuations under my belt
biggrin.gif

Oh, BTW, I only use Bibble for RAW, and I do all the tagging/sorting/captioning/photo management stuff in Breezebrowser. Yeah, its two programs, but it's by far the speediest way to do things IMHO.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 13
I've played with the trials of both Lightroom and Aperture and so far I like Lightroom more, mainly because the interface is more appealing to me and performance is better on my MacBook (2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM), and it's cheaper as well which is always a plus.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...performance is better on my MacBook (2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM)...

Thanks for the info. This is my machine also, so I find your experience very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back