ADL A1... any thoughts?
Feb 23, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #16 of 30
Happened to drop by a different branch of my favourite headphone store here in Taipei. Guy said the A1 needs a proprietary cable to connect to Android devices, one that's not supplied with the amp. How dumb is that?

Also tried the AK10 which connected OK with my Note3. It feels so tiny and insubstantial though, like an empty box of Chiclets. Didn't have time for a proper listen.

[Edit: I'll drop by the main store some time and try the A1 again with that cable. Will let you know how it sounds.]

Good idea. Try to bring your own OTG cable that will work fine.
Install both HibyMusic app and UAPP. I think either one of them should work.

Let me know how it sounds. I wonder if it worth $450. Their X1 is $300. That price makes more sense.
Upcoming Calyx F portable DAC is $499.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #17 of 30
There are 2 OTG cables delivered with the DAC : one 10 cm and one 20 cm. One side is micro USB for the smartphone, and the other side is plain size USB for the DAC.
I've just tried with a Samsung S5 and it works as well as my Xperia E3.
I've also tried Hiby Music which support direct connection to the DAC for HD audio but the music is played as if frequency was wrong (two or three times slower)
Perhaps I will try with USB Audio Pro if I add my Visa to my Google Account...

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #18 of 30
There are 2 OTG cables delivered with the DAC : one 10 cm and one 20 cm. One side is micro USB for the smartphone, and the other side is plain size USB for the DAC.
I've just tried with a Samsung S5 and it works as well as my Xperia E3.
I've also tried Hiby Music which support direct connection to the DAC for HD audio but the music is played as if frequency was wrong (two or three times slower)
Perhaps I will try with USB Audio Pro if I add my Visa to my Google Account...

or you can try to buy other USB cables on Amazon.

I think a normal mini USB to USB cable will do its work.

Let us know what you think about A1. I wonder how it will compare to Geek Out 1000, iBasso D55, Oppo HA-2.

If you're using Galaxy S5, make sure you upgrade its OS to the newest Lollipop OS. Lollipop has better USB audio support.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #21 of 30
I wish I had a Geek Out to compare to, but I don't have any other dac right now. All I can compare to is my MacBook Pro and my Xperia E3, and what I remember of the O2+ODAC I've used for a few month. (see my first post for that).
The sound is very good and it's an important fact, but what I like with this DAC too is that I can use it easily with my smartphone and my MacBook Pro. Even if it's a little bit overpriced, instead of buying 2 DAC for 300 $ each, I prefer spending 450 $ in one.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #22 of 30
  I wish I had a Geek Out to compare to, but I don't have any other dac right now. All I can compare to is my MacBook Pro and my Xperia E3, and what I remember of the O2+ODAC I've used for a few month. (see my first post for that).
The sound is very good and it's an important fact, but what I like with this DAC too is that I can use it easily with my smartphone and my MacBook Pro. Even if it's a little bit overpriced, instead of buying 2 DAC for 300 $ each, I prefer spending 450 $ in one.

geek out 1000 has a class A amp and SABRE DAC chip at the same time. It costs only $200 as used.
It works with smartphones, laptops, and desktops.
A1 costs $599.

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #23 of 30
Sabre is not an argument for me. I tried high prices DAC based on Sabre but I wasn't impressed. I fund the Sabre too cold, not exciting.
As for smartphones, it's not officially supported. But of course you can use any DAC (even a desktop DAC) with an OTG cable as soon as it supported by USB Audio Player Pro. But I wanted an android natively supported DAC to use Qobuz Application.
Also, the Geek Out has no battery. The ADL has a 7 hours battery and doesn't use the USB power of the smartphone.

I found another test from a Polish website (go to page 2 for the sound part). What we can understand with the traduction is that amplification part is not as good as the DAC part, and I must approve this. I also have some noise when the volume is too high and some kind of distortion. The amplification won't handle high impedance headphones because of that. It's great with my two headphones (IE 800 and SRH1840) but I would be sceptical with a 300 Ohms one. It's sad that both jack output deliver the same power.

[EDIT] I've been able to test the ADL with a Sony Xperia Z3c (Android 4.4.4), which has an option in audio settings to manage HD audio with a DAC. And it works ! I've been able to listen a 24 Bits/176,4Khz song with nothing more than the Sony Walkman application !

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #24 of 30
gixxerwimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Happened to drop by a different branch of my favourite headphone store here in Taipei. Guy said the A1 needs a proprietary cable to connect to Android devices, one that's not supplied with the amp. How dumb is that?

Also tried the AK10 which connected OK with my Note3. It feels so tiny and insubstantial though, like an empty box of Chiclets. Didn't have time for a proper listen.

[Edit: I'll drop by the main store some time and try the A1 again with that cable. Will let you know how it sounds.

I went back to the store yesterday with the more useful sales guy on duty. He pulled out the OTG cable that comes with the A1 (I think it was left out of some early shipments, which is why he said the rep had to bring it in later). Worked fine. I only brought 1 phone, and had to unplug the A1 to AB it. Each time I switched sources, I had to clear the memory on my Note 3, otherwise the audio from Poweramp was severely distorted. This issue wasn't unique to the A1, as I had the same problem last time listening to the CEntrance HiFi-M8. So I think it must be an Android thing, or something specific with my phone (rooted, Viper4Android).

As for sound, I couldn't hear a significant difference compared to the phone out of my Note 3. But then, I'm not hearing a significant difference between my phones and any of the DAC/amps I've tried, except with really hard to drive cans like the HD800 and T1. Guess I'm lucky in that I can save my $ for headphones rather than amps
beyersmile.png

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #25 of 30

I went back to the store yesterday with the more useful sales guy on duty. He pulled out the OTG cable that comes with the A1 (I think it was left out of some early shipments, which is why he said the rep had to bring it in later). Worked fine. I only brought 1 phone, and had to unplug the A1 to AB it. Each time I switched sources, I had to clear the memory on my Note 3, otherwise the audio from Poweramp was severely distorted. This issue wasn't unique to the A1, as I had the same problem last time listening to the CEntrance HiFi-M8. So I think it must be an Android thing, or something specific with my phone (rooted, Viper4Android).

As for sound, I couldn't hear a significant difference compared to the phone out of my Note 3. But then, I'm not hearing a significant difference between my phones and any of the DAC/amps I've tried, except with really hard to drive cans like the HD800 and T1. Guess I'm lucky in that I can save my $ for headphones rather than amps
beyersmile.png

No significant difference? that's disappointing.
Its design is much better than Geek Out, Centrance, etc.
I like 7 hours battery life and small size of this unit.

I felt kinda same for Geek Out 1000. At first, I didn't hear too much difference and never felt it worth 299, but later on I started to realize it's one of the best sounding devices out there. The need for "burn-in" time is true. On the contrary, for iBasso's D55, I never needed burn-in time to understand it's amazing sound quality.
D55 is more forward sounding than Geek Out 1000. Geek Out 1000 sounds cleaner and has more details yet it needs some burn-in time to get adjusted to it. After that, you can't live without Geek Out 1000.

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #26 of 30

kawaivpc1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gixxerwimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beyersmile.png

No significant difference? that's disappointing.
Its design is much better than Geek Out, Centrance, etc.
I like 7 hours battery life and small size of this unit.

I felt kinda same for Geek Out 1000. At first, I didn't hear too much difference and never felt it worth 299, but later on I started to realize it's one of the best sounding devices out there. The need for "burn-in" time is true. On the contrary, for iBasso's D55, I never needed burn-in time to understand it's amazing sound quality.
D55 is more forward sounding than Geek Out 1000. Geek Out 1000 sounds cleaner and has more details yet it needs some burn-in time to get adjusted to it. After that, you can't live without Geek Out 1000.

I reiterate: I'm not hearing a significant difference between my phones and any of the DAC/amps I've tried, except with really hard to drive cans like the HD800 and T1.
So don't take my impression as any kind of accurate judgement of the A1's sound quality.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #27 of 30
A good news to you all:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JEVDUZ8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2AI04WBBTFRQF

They have reduced its price.
But, this is still very very over priced for what it is.
Geek Out 1000, 32bit 382kHz and DSD support device, is under 300 dollars.

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #28 of 30
It seems like A1's price is keep dropping... It's about $340 now.
Now ADL guys have finally realized that $599 retail price doesn't make any sense.
A1 is clearly worse than Oppo HA-2, Geek Out 1000, etc.
I'd wait till it becomes $250.

ADL X1 is about $250 now.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Design-Labs-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00D4N5UJQ/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425468655&sr=1-12

Their prices are keep going down.

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #29 of 30
Nice DAC/head amp but mine drain the battery quite fast even when it's not in use. Is this normal with A1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back