Adjusting to the RS-1
Jan 21, 2006 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Pete7

Headphoneus Supremus
I couldn't help myself after having HF-1's for a month and bought a pair of RS-1's this past week. I've had them for 4 days and I really love the sound coming from them but it seems like my ears are struggling to get used to these cans. I don't listen at a high volume but it feels like I'm experiencing more fatigue with these than I did with HF-1's. Is this a normal adjustment period or could it be the amp I'm using with them(which doesn't seem likely)? I'm using them with a Larocco PR II (AD8620) and a Micro DAC. Of course, it could be using flats instead of bowl pads. I've just never really liked the sound with bowls. Maybe a pair of the ported Zeta bowl c-pads from Headphile would be a good solution?

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 21
I believe that bowl pads are commonly recommended for the SR-225 and up (if not the -125 or even the -80 as well), so you might want to give them another shot. Although, if the flats are fatiguing you, chances are the bowls will be worse.
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 21
in my experience, the RS-1 needs an amp that really keeps an iron grip on the treble. tubes also help. if you are using flats and are having fatigue, i strongly suggest against trying the bowls.

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I couldn't help myself after having HF-1's for a month and bought a pair of RS-1's this past week. I've had them for 4 days and I really love the sound coming from them but it seems like my ears are struggling to get used to these cans. I don't listen at a high volume but it feels like I'm experiencing more fatigue with these than I did with HF-1's. Is this a normal adjustment period or could it be the amp I'm using with them(which doesn't seem likely)? I'm using them with a Larocco PR II (AD8620) and a Micro DAC. Of course, it could be using flats instead of bowl pads. I've just never really liked the sound with bowls. Maybe a pair of the ported Zeta bowl c-pads from Headphile would be a good solution?

Roll the Opamp, I hate the sound of the AD8620 with Grados, try the AD843 or AD8066, and perhaps your opinion will be quite different
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 21
Actually, I just switched to the bowls since that first post and it's like night and day as far as the fatigue is concerned. I think the deepness of the sound with flats is what does it. It feels like zero fatigue with the electrical-taped bowls versus the flats. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and make the switch.

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7

Not familiar with that amp...

But in my rig the RS1 is more aggressive than my HF1.... even MORE-SO fresh out of the box. Their upper midrange resonant characteristics do change with burn-in and extended use. Out of the box the RS1 is a "shoutey" beast in the upper midrange frequencies.

Coming from HF1 land it is quite a shock. As the HF1 is IMHO the warmest sub $300 grado, and the easiest to like (IMHO).

Try swapping pads. Grado bowls soften with use, and sound warmer the softer they get. So at least some of the differences you hear might be pad related. I do this trick all the time... and really prefer my RS1 with my soggy well used bowl pads.

The RS1 IS a noticeably tighter and quicker headphone, very snappy sounding. The HF1 sounds a little fat and "tubby" by comparison.... I wouldn't go so far as to call it muddy, but IMHO it lacks just a little of the quick snappy transients that the RS1 has in spades.

The RS1 has more energy and
"stuff going on" at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Sub bass extends deeper and treble reaches up higher... just a hair more sperkle in the RS1.

The RS1 has that wonderful HF1 grado headstage... But it adds a little more sense of distance and separation that the HF1 lacks.

The differences are subtle, but there.

Turn your volume down... WAY down. The RS1 is a VERY dynamic headphone... even more dynamic than my MS2 and HF1 (!!
eek.gif
). The RS1 begs to be played at moderate volumes... Let your ears absorb ALL the dynamics. The silence and the explosive dynamics are there in spades. If you turn the VOL up so quiet passages are moderate, you'll bleed your ears on the louder passages..

I too was killing my ears with my RS1.

Garrett

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Roll the Opamp, I hate the sound of the AD8620 with Grados, try the AD843 or AD8066, and perhaps your opinion will be quite different
smily_headphones1.gif

Think your right on the money there. I switched to the AE-1 instead of the Larocco and it sounds a lot different with the flats. Probably not optimium sounding, but definitely easier on the ears. What about AD829 or AD797, these I actually have on hand at the moment.

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Roll the Opamp, I hate the sound of the AD8620 with Grados)

Im starting to feel this way too... I have the AD8620 in my 18V mint and it really makes my HD580 and K240s sing. But it seems to make my Grados more "shout-ey"... theres something going on...

Garrett

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 21
Just to let you know, I use a PPX3-Slam with the RS-1's, and when I plugged them into a micro amp (desktop module), I found them a bit fatiguing as well!

They sounded good, but a tube amp gives the highs better control, and warmth. A match made in heaven!
rs1smile.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #10 of 21
I have just gotten my RS-1s and yes, they sound shouty and etched at the mid-upper frequencies when new. Things are taming down significantly with continuous run-in. They are now starting to sound liquid and refine.

I agree with Garret that they should be used at moderate to softer sound levels - very dynamic and detailed. It is not necessary to play loud to obtain good enjoyment.

Regards

Jan 21, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 21
The RS-1 are fantastic, though they require burn in to sound their best. I say about 200 hours. Also a warm SS amp helps tame the treble although I prefer to go the tube amp route. If you choose the 2nd route look into the Mapletree Amps, Dr. Lloyd is a great guy and his amps sound fantastic. I have the Ear Purist + HD100 and highly recomend his products. Good luck.

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
The RS-1 are fantastic, though they require burn in to sound their best. I say about 200 hours. Also a warm SS amp helps tame the treble although I prefer to go the tube amp route. If you choose the 2nd route look into the Mapletree Amps, Dr. Lloyd is a great guy and his amps sound fantastic. I have the Ear Purist + HD100 and highly recomend his products. Good luck.

agreed. the MAD ear+ purist HD is very warm and will tame those fatiguing parts of your RS1. i really like the ear+ purist with the HF-1, but not so much with my SR-200 because they seem a bit "dry" from the ear+

what about the RA-1? i really liked my RS-1/RA-1 combo when i had it...

Jan 21, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 21
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm thinking maybe a WooAudio3 or a Gilmore Lite(possible dedicated PSU). Any observations w/ RS-1 and either of these 2?

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 21
Didn't like the RS-1 with the Gilmore Lite. Yes it'll give you detail, speed, and extension on both ends, but it gets tiring to listen to. Kinda flat sounding and has no midrange magic. If you find your current amp fatiguing, the Gilmore Lite is not going to help. Don't know about Woo Audio 3 since I've never heard any of their products.

Personal opinion, go tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back