Adjusting the frenquencies of my Headphones
Jun 21, 2014 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dashrendar2507

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

So I've got a pair of headphones here that I like but I know you're gonna hate: The Razer Kraken Forged Edition. I'm not loking for reviews, just for tips.

So I know these are really really not audiophile-grade headphones, but still experts agree to say that it is a decent pair. However, I am really disapointed with the audio quality. Even for gaming! My sound has a obvious over-emphasis on lows but still they sound muddy, completely flat and without any punch whatsoever. I've burned them in for about 15 hours and tried a HUGE bank of FLAC music. Alas, voices, music and games just sound muddy, flat, plain unpleasant.

Any suggestions? Please ? 

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 8
.... EQ Down for music,the bass for one, and keep the mids at 0

in addition maybe try modding them, search the threads for mods, some one might have figured out some way to thin it out 

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 8
  Well actually it just sounds like cans. Weird, the sound is good but just sounds....compressed... I guess that is what makes the sound unpleasant.

... yea, what I might recommend to you is DSP software, I used to use the SRS Audio Sandbox, and it was glorious! And it... was a DSP utility so it did... process EVERYTHING, from Games to Music, since it was it's own application,

try to find it and see if u can't get it working, it has plenty options to play around with to improve the sound of ur cans, it even has functionality for giving a headphone a "wider" sound stage 

how ever the SandBox only works with Vista and Windows XP, some times your computers standard Audio Driver has a universal DSP controller as well, which you could use to maybe decrease the bass, and boost the treble that might give it a less "canned" sound

other wise... but do try modding them, modding is a fun way to improve the sound of bad headphones! Why look at the stock T50RP, it sounds horrendous, how ever when u mod it. It sucks a lot LOT less :3

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 8
  ... yea, what I might recommend to you is DSP software, I used to use the SRS Audio Sandbox, and it was glorious! And it... was a DSP utility so it did... process EVERYTHING, from Games to Music, since it was it's own application,

try to find it and see if u can't get it working, it has plenty options to play around with to improve the sound of ur cans, it even has functionality for giving a headphone a "wider" sound stage 

Okay, thank you I'll look into it right now. I,ve messed with my Foobar2000's EQ a bit and it helped a lot.

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 8

how ever the SandBox only works with Vista and Windows XP, some times your computers standard Audio Driver has a universal DSP controller as well, which you could use to maybe decrease the bass, and boost the treble that might give it a less "canned" sound

other wise... but do try modding them, modding is a fun way to improve the sound of bad headphones! Why look at the stock T50RP, it sounds horrendous, how ever when u mod it. It sucks a lot LOT less :3

Wow I've used SRS Audio Ensentials and wow I got the sound I wanted ! But ! The volume lever decreases immensely while it is active and I can't seem to be able to do anything about that.... 

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 8
  Wow I've used SRS Audio Ensentials and wow I got the sound I wanted ! But ! The volume lever decreases immensely while it is active and I can't seem to be able to do anything about that.... 

There should be a way to increase the volume again, your other option is to get a small amp like the Fiio E6 {$20} run out your mobo's headphone out into the amp then use the amp to get some extra volume

but keep fiddleing with the Audio Essitnals, there's most likely a setting it has that's making everything quiet 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back