Adjustable gain on CMoy?
Mar 3, 2004 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
I was reading over the CMoy diagrams at tangents site. He talks about replacing R3 with a higher value to decrease gain. It seemed to go between 1kohm and 5kohm. Do you think it would be a good idea to replace R3 with a small 5k potentiometer, tune the gain, then mount it in the box? Or should I jsut buy a few different resistors for it, i.e. 11 to build it then swap it our with a gain of 3 or 4 for my MDR-V6s?

Mar 3, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 6
I think you should try different resistors and settle with the value you like best. A potentiometer would IMHO cause problems because it introduces noise, and besides, you need one for each channel, and to match their settings closely might prove difficult.

Mar 3, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 6
this would be very intersting, there are lots of pots designed for audio use, those pots with dual channel should work just fine.
however just like till said, a pot would most likely add noise

Mar 3, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 6
You could use a dual pot for the gain, and I think linear taper would be preferable.

But resistors are just so cheap that I can afford to try 3 different ones.

Mar 3, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 6
I recently made a cmoy with my R3 being 2.4k (gain of 5) to run my v6's and I also put a panasonic potentiometer on it and it sounds great although higher volumes distort it (but you really don't need them to be anywhere near THAT loud
tongue.gif
). IMO, I don't think you need a gain anywhere over 5 for these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back