Adivce on what to do with my speakers/amps
Nov 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

wcreek

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am currently in college and I need some advice to what I should do for my equipment

earlier this year ,  I bought a pair of Dick Sequerra Model 7 speakers for $100 before I went to school. My only decent amp is the emotiva mini which does not have nearly enough power to make the model 7's somewhat loud. I am thinking of selling the model 7's (seems like they will be going for $300~)  and buying a gently used pair of HD 600's ($250-$300) and a small dac amp combination like one of fiio's products. I want to hold onto the emotiva for when I am at home, and I want to have high quality sound when I am in my dorm. 

is this a good idea?

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 2
Stop! You should definitely make use of the emotiva mini x, no reason for it collecting dust. Get the HE-400 (on offer for only 300$ this weekend, which is a very good price, you can easily resell it for the same price) or if you can squeeze it, get the HE-4 or alternatively HE-5LE or HE-500.
Then, get a jack to banana plugs adapter (doesn't need to cost more than 20$) and you have a real sweet setup.
Ideally, you should get HE-4 to go with the mini-x and perhaps a hifimediy sabre dac.

The HE-400 will yield a fairly small amount of volume play, and there might be a little noise from the amp, as it is a lot more efficient than for example the HE-4. The HE-4 is also lighter and more comfortable.
Go read into it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back