adding two audio jacks to t50rps?
Aug 18, 2012 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jome

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if anybody has tried putting together a t50rp rig that would accept the Y split cables into two detachable jacks in each headphone so that I would be able to disconnect the cable from the headphones whenever. The same way you can when you first get the t50rps out of the box except it would be on both sides. Also How would this effect the sound quality? I haven't been able to find any threads on this so far but if there is one could you please direct me there, thanks!

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 7
I haven't played with the Fostex phones before, but the enclosure looks like it ought to be able to handle some jacks. I have added 3.5mm jacks to AKG K81DJ's and a miniXLR jack to some Shure SRH840's without any noticeable degradation in sound.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 7
You need to find some panel mount jacks.  I used 3.5mm mono jacks since they were readily available at an online shop that I use (Partsexpress.com).  Obviously 2.5mm mono jacks will be smaller.  It depends on your preference and the amount of space inside the headphone cups.  Here is an example for reference:  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=090-296

You will need to make a hole for them with a drill or dremel.  Make sure to make a hole slightly smaller than the jack, then work it slowly in so you have as much friction holding the jack in place.  The nuts on these things are pretty weak so I secure the jacks with healthy gobs of hotglue on the inside of the cups.  Be sure not to get it on the tab mechanism or it might not release right when you insert and remove the plug.

When sorting out the wiring inside the cup, take lots of pictures to help yourself remember where everything goes.

Hopefully that gets you started.  Have fun!

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 7
I'd search for the T50rp modification threads on the forums.  I can't remember the exact titles, but there were a couple summary threads that listed different modifications and were full of pictures that should get you started.  It is always helpful to use a multimeter to check wire continuity (but only when not attached to the headphone driver as it will read signal on both lines iirc).  USUALLY, red-right-ring is a standard way to remember what attaches where with black or green as the other signal and clear (copper) as ground in most stock cables.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back