Adding the Fiio e11K to the Sound Blaster Z for controlling the insanely loud volume?
Dec 11, 2014 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Magsamm

New Head-Fier
I am using the Beyerdynamic DT 770 with this sound card. But I currently need to set the entire EQ band at -22dB, including volume level at -12dB to not blow my ears off. Will the Fiio11k help with this problem? before I used the Equalizer APO software with my Sennheiser HD 558, which worked great for a while, until I switched motherboards for some reason. Help is greatly appreciated :)

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 8
  I am using the Beyerdynamic DT 770 with this sound card. But I currently need to set the entire EQ band at -22dB, including volume level at -12dB to not blow my ears off. Will the Fiio11k help with this problem? before I used the Equalizer APO software with my Sennheiser HD 558, which worked great for a while, until I switched motherboards for some reason. Help is greatly appreciated :)

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS?
Sometimes active on-board causes issues with add-on internal sound cards.

The E11K would have no problems driving the 250-Ohm (or 80-Ohm?) Beyers headphones.
But hopefully the sound issue can be resolved with spending the extra cash for the amp.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes, I have disabled the onboard sound card. What I'm really worried about is the added "noise" which I heard a second AMP/DAC might cause, or perhaps this is only distinguishable to audiophiles? and yes it is the 80 ohm version. and the card is in a PCI Express x1 slot. :)

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 8
  Yes, I have disabled the on-board sound card. What I'm really worried about is the added "noise" which I heard a second AMP/DAC might cause, or perhaps this is only distinguishable to audiophiles? and yes it is the 80 ohm version. and the card is in a PCI Express x1 slot. :)

Using an external DAC will not add noise, the external DAC is great for fixing noise issues.
Daisy chaining one amplifier directly to another amplifier can cause noise issues.

So if your using optical cable, connecting the SB-Z to an external DAC like the Modi, then connecting the Modi to a amplifier like the Magni.
SB-Z>Modi>Magni.
This setup should fix any noise issues you have.
Insanely loud volume itself would not be considered a noise issue.

If the SB-Z had a defective headphone amplifier, then bypassing it using a Schiit Modi/Magni should fix the issue.

You might try doing a fresh install, totally deleting the SB-Z software, maybe even moving the SB-Z to a different PCI-E slot, then reinstalling the Creative software.

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Unfortunately the Schiit Magni/Modi is not available in my country (Norway).  I have switched motherboards, reinstalled the software and tried moving the card to a different slot :p Can I connect the E11K using and optical cable to the SBZ?

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 8
  Unfortunately the Schiit Magni/Modi is not available in my country (Norway).  I have switched motherboards, reinstalled the software and tried moving the card to a different slot :p Can I connect the E11K using and optical cable to the SBZ?

The FiiO E11K does not come with a optical connection (no digital inputs).

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 8
Hmm, so I should just go for the Fiio E11k then? :), and I meant that the Fiio e11K has some noise issues (thats what I heard) :p not that connecting the Fiio e11k will create noise issues :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back