Adding more bass to standard over-ear headphones
Aug 8, 2004 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zaied

Head-Fier
Hi all! Im new to the forum and I can say how much I love this place.

Anyways, I was wondering can any of you reccomend some basic mods to add more bass to some standard over the ear headphones. To be more specific they are the kind that has the band that goes over your neck. You know what Im talking about. I ask because I'm a newbie at modding and I wanted to experiment using a pair of my cheaper headphones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 8, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 5
I used these headphones on Panasonic portable. It has a built in S-XBS setting, but more bass would be nice. Anyways it's not that important, it's just I have to wait a few days before my new pair comes in and I thought this would be a good way to kill some time.

Aug 8, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 5
I dunno how to mod them to give more bass, I couldn't be arsed, i'd just use bass boost. Plus when I fiddle with stuff it tends to break, so i'd just use bass boost - simple and won't break anything
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaied
I used these headphones on Panasonic portable. It has a built in S-XBS setting, but more bass would be nice. Anyways it's not that important, it's just I have to wait a few days before my new pair comes in and I thought this would be a good way to kill some time.

Two problems here...

1. From my experience, the S-XBS on Panasonic portables tend to distort heavily even at moderate volumes. This produces un-punchy, sloppy, nasty "bass" that IMO just isn't worth it.

2. Again from my experience... Many behind-the-neck or over-the-head cheap headphones I tried, but not many are really capable of handling bass well. They just don't extend very far down. Even when bass is jacked up, the phones will just distort and produce strange noises without any significant improvement in bass.

If you really want a lot of bass and nothing more, try new headphones. A good place to start I think would be some of the cheaper Koss headphones - I think Headroom recommends a good $20 or so Koss for starters.

Sorry for pointing out something you didn't ask for, but from what I can see there's not much hope in improving your situation with simple mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back