Adding legends to case
Mar 14, 2004 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pcolbeck

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I'm sure this must have been discussed before but I can't seem to find a search term that pulls anything up. Does anyone have some pointers to methods of adding legends to a case, volume, line in, headphone that kind of thing. I was wondering if there is any kind of label you can print in white (rather than black - black legends on a black case hmmm) or something like that. Also what do people do to stop the labels wearing off quickly. I had thought of letraset or similar but figured it wouldnt survive very long.

Thanks

Pat

Mar 15, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 7
If it's a black anodized aluminim panel, you could take it to one of those engraving shops, the ones that make trophys and plaques and see if they'll engrave the legends for you.

I've been thinking of trying toner transfer paper, the kind that you use to make PCBs, to mark out a panel.

I've also taken to coating my enclosures with spray gloss polyurethane. Not only does it give a classy gloss finish, it makes the enclosure more resitant to scratches and would work nicely to seal in something like Letraset rub-on lettering.

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 7
A small electronics store here has some transfer lettering that you simply rub off onto the panel. Also has graphics for different functions. I haven't tried it, but will soon.

Mar 15, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 7
I've had several items engraved: a nickel-plated steel shotgun receiver, high-carbon knife blades, aluminum equipment cases, brass nameplates, etc. Some were done via laser engraving, a few were done with hand-held scribers, and others were done wth rotary cutters.

Generally, laser engraving looks pretty good and doesn't cost that much (relatively). There are probably a few shops that do it in your town (check trophy and plaque shops as Sal suggested). Or else, check Google. A search for "laser engraving" turns up a few online laser engravers such as this place.

D.

Mar 15, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 7
nearer to home, WH Smith sell a rub on lettering kit that is reasonably durable and looks nice if you take some care in lining it all up, although I have to say the engraving option sounds good to me, and it's not very expensive

g

Mar 15, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks guys. I think I will try one of the lettering kits and varnish it as my enclosure will be plastic (its going to be my second attempt at a CMOY - lest see if I can make it tidier this time
smily_headphones1.gif
).

The lazer etching sound interesting for metal cases though. I suppose if it was etched you could paint over it and then buff it off just leaving the paint in the etches which would look good. I'll have to give it ago when I get arround to a Pimeta or a PPA.

Thanks

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back