Adding head amp to current system
Apr 25, 2009 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pkrdlr007

100+ Head-Fier
Greeting's All, Big time noob question, I'm thinking of adding a head amp to my system and I would like to know if the volume knob on the head amp would overide the volume knob on my integrated amp?. Thanks in advance for helping me.

Apr 25, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 5
You'll be connecting the head amp to the integrated amp? The answer is that it depends.

Output type of integrated amp: volume knob with an effect.

Fixed line-level out (like tape out): only head amp.

Variable pre-amp out (less common): both.

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 5
Depends how you hook it all up.
You probably should bypass the integrated amplifier when using the headphone amplifier though. Meaning hooking your source (CD player or like) directly to then headphone amplifier.

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Or feeding through the Tape Loop, if you have one. The out of the Tape loop simply replays the signal coming out of the CD. In some cases you have to hook this to the tape in. In some cases, the tape out will also monitor any selected input.

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 5
The easiest way to add the headphone amp to your integrated amp is through the tape out. With this configuration, you'll be using the volume control on the headphone amp.

However for best fidelity, you should connect the source (CD player, tuner, etc) directly into the headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back