Adding Coaxial S/PDIF To The M-Audio Transit
Mar 2, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #16 of 22
Who needs weekends
evil_smiley.gif
I went ahead and tried it. No sucess. Just so you know what i'm trying to do. I'm using a 74HC74 D type flipflop. The clock from the clock source, and the Data from the S/PDIF line. The output Q should have only the jitter inherent in the clock itself. This is what common reclocking circuits do.

There is a clock signal on that pin but whatever it is it's not the correct S/PDIF frequency. I'm not going to rule out that I've burnt out the flipflop with constant resoldering, or that I've set up something incorrectly but I will experiment further. Thistime on the weekend
icon10.gif

Could you do me a favor since I don't actually have a frequency counter or ocilliscope (which would eliminate the guess work). Could you please check the frequency output of the S/PDIF signal? R5 on the schematic or Pin 5 from bottom left. in Bryan's pic.

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #17 of 22
Hi Garbz,

Now I see what you are trying to do.

A frequency counter would not be able to tell you the freq of your SPDIF data, since it only count edges in a period of time. As the SPDIF data changes so is the freq reading from the freq counter, although the sampling freq does not change.

Let me study the datasheet of 4584 over the weekend and see if this reclocking scheme is doable.

Mike

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #19 of 22
Noticable difference. Who knows what other changes they made
wink.gif
But now that you mention it it does seem kind of out of place. Maybe they realised they simply didn't need it
icon10.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #21 of 22
Well on that note maybe it was missing
tongue.gif

Anyway I gave up with the flipflop. There's no clock i can source that seems to work. I'll just go the standard voltage divider cap, the input is to my dac is xformer coupled so i'll leave that out.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #22 of 22
Is the twisted red and black cables the power mod? Just solder the cables like you did and supply them with +5V and GND? How about the USB power? No problem with sound card needing the USB ground from the computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back