Adding an aux input to a cheapo cd player
Dec 12, 2007 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

splaz

1000+ Head-Fier
Yeah by no means hi-fi, just one of those dirt cheap cd players with a handle that are semi portable.

Anyway, it's just one that get's thrashed at work and I want to with some spare RCA connectors stick an aux input into it.

Just wondering, does anyone know where to feed it into, the radio is stuffed so I was thinking I can just replace that line in to the amp. Does the signal usually actually go through the switch in these ?

Well I figure I'll go off and play with it.
biggrin.gif

I already early had to do a quick fix of bending two contacts together so it recognises a disc is inserted and because everyone at work thrashes the thing they'd moved out of place.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 3
Not knowing anything about your particular unit, I'd suggest unplugging it, taking it apart and finding the source switch (FM/AM/TAPE/CD/OFF). See if there are twice as many leads going to the switch as options. This would indicate L/R signals for each, at which point you could use an ohmmeter to determine which leads are for the FM or AM, whichever you want to replace. Solder/rig an RCA/3.5mm plug cable to those two points for left and right signals, and find a ground to attach the input ground to.

If you just wanna disassemble the thing and take some pictures of what that switch is connected to, we could help you much easier
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, you could just get a tape adapter and the relevant connection adapter to whatever source you want, if you're not savvy on taking things apart with confidence they'll ever work again.

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by UserNotFound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, you could just get a tape adapter and the relevant connection adapter to whatever source you want, if you're not savvy on taking things apart with confidence they'll ever work again.

It doesn't actually have tape...
rolleyes.gif

Well I was savvy enough to fix it...
tongue.gif

No wonder those things are so cheap though, the 'switch' that let's it know the lid is closed is just two very thin contacts and a tiny piece of foam. I put in a momentary switch that has this metal lever with a very light 'action' I guess you'd call it. Dremeled out a rough rectanglish shape for it under where the edge of the lid goes, hot glued it in place, desoldered the leads from the cheap thing and soldered it in. Tada! No one at work as all that impressed so thought I'd share.
biggrin.gif

The board is horrible, components bent all over the place, it's really messy. To think of the times where I've been worried that a cap isn't perfectly straight.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway yeah, I'm 100% confident in my ability to take it apart, do things and put it back together and have it work.

I'm not 100% confident in my ability to work out where to stick the signal in though.
biggrin.gif

The switch from memory had about 8 or more legs in total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back