Adding a Subwoofer to M-audio BX5A (HELP AND SUGGESTIONS) A GOOD IDEA? (to replace Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultras)
Aug 12, 2010 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

amdj

Head-Fier
OK so my Klipsch 5.1 Promedia Ultras finally died after having bought them for $100 last year used from somebody on Craig's List (ROFL). They were in great condition, sounded great, and I was extremely satisfied with them as a 5.1 setup...

Now they are dead...

As much as I'd like a 2k+ home theater setup hooked onto my PC and other components, I rather save up first and at least get something to hold me off for my speaker pleasure needs for my computer.

I currently looked into viable options and have found the M-Audio BX5A to be looking like a very decent option for the price.

So far I have an iBasso D4 DAC/AMP which I plan to use only the DAC as the source for the M-Audio BX5A's.

The only problem is I like bass! Can I hook the BX5A's to something like this http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000V1MJRA/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281670725&sr=8-39?

So basically it would be:
BX5A (Speakers) -> XLR Cable to RCA -> Subwoofer Input -> Subwoofer Output -> RCA cable to 3.5mm -> D4 (DAC)

WILL THIS WORK?! I'm a noob at this stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated....

Is this possible? I don't have a spare A/V reciever right now and am wondering if this would work for my PC setup...

Thanks in advance and any suggestions about adding a subwoofer to the BX5A's would be greatly appreciated (in advance, I am I basshead and tend to use these speakers as fix for my music and movie needs including some gaming)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 4
So the DAC will be a source to the BX5A? Or the BX5A will be the source for the DAC?
Cause in the signal chain you put its at the end...

But I think that'll work.
You might want to add a crossover to that signal chain so you can get an accurate sound.

Check this link out... Same situation. 

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1213179

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 4
Yeah that'll work, kinda strange how you want to hook up the iBasso since it is a portable amp but you gotta use what you have in hand.

BX5a's are a nice pair of monitors for the price you pay for them. And they certainly need a subwoofer to show their full potential.

How large is your room, would a 10" sub be an overkill? you don't want that boomy bass bouncing off your walls.

My setup is similar to the one you want to get:
Computer -> EMU 0404 USB -> BX10's (sub) -> BX5a's (monitors)
then with the emu 0404 i connect my headphones

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 4
What to look for in a subwoofer if i am planning to do tis,

Essence ST RCA -> subwoofer -> active bookshelves.

Anybody can enlighten me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back