Adding a preamp to my chain
Jun 20, 2018 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sobrietywarrior

100+ Head-Fier
I was reading a review on the PS Audio BHK preamp and the claim is adding this to a power amp/speaker chain improved the musicality. I currently have an emm labs dac -> alo Studio six. Anyone have any experience adding a high end preamp to their setup?

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 7
I was reading a review on the PS Audio BHK preamp and the claim is adding this to a power amp/speaker chain improved the musicality. I currently have an emm labs dac -> alo Studio six. Anyone have any experience adding a high end preamp to their setup?

The Studio Six is an integrated amplifier. That means that unlike that review with just a power amp plus the BHK, the Studio Six actually has both preamp circuit and power amp circuits in it.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Yes I understand that. Many people use integrated amps nowadays. My question is would adding a good dedicated preamp help improve the sound quality.

What I was saying was, more to the point, that you don't need to. On top of that, if you did, you'd either have two preamps in one chain, which isn't going to objectively improve sound quality, since now you have two circuits - one unnecessarily there - that are coloring the signal. If it "improves" (if it can even be called that), you're using a preamp as a wide range EQ.

Alternately if your integrated amp has amplifier direct inputs then you can try that option and see whether the stand alone preamp sounds more transparent than the built in preamp.

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 7
The two preamp circuits in the chain is how some reviewers tested the setup:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-bhk-signature-preamplifier-page-2

Paul McGowan and Bascom H. King make more ambitious claims for their BHK Signature. They say that inserting the preamp in their systems—both of which seem to include the DirectStream DAC and the BHK Signature Mono 300 amplifiers, which is precisely my own current setup—actually improves the sound.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-bhk-signature-preamplifier-page-2#m3uvgBvIfp7gH9dU.99

With use of the BHK: In addition to exposing a lovely increase of resonance, air, reverb, spacial definition and openness galore, joined with more instrumental density, weight and superb bass, voices in particular became layered with complex, gorgeous textures.

Are these reviewers hearing the coloration from the preamp that makes the music more enjoyable?

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 7
The two preamp circuits in the chain is how some reviewers tested the setup:
Are these reviewers hearing the coloration from the preamp that makes the music more enjoyable?

What I said above is that the amplifiers used in those do not have a preamplifier, unlike your Studio Six. They used mono amplifiers, which, if each of them had its own preamp, would need to be adjusted twice over since each amplifier for each side will have its independent volume control.

In that review, the other preamp is on the DAC, which has a digital output with a digital volume control. What they did is practically like hooking up a computer to a Schiit DAC and headphone amp+preamp, or a Schiit DAC and passive preamp, then used Windows volume control. Except the PSAudio DAC they used likely doesn't affecct bit length, unlike Windows before Win10.

Still arguably unnecessary since they're still going to use the DAC's volume control anyway because they want to use a remote, so they're not even really using the preamp anyway. That said, it might not necessarily just be outright coloration, but much higher gain. The output of the DAC is a lot lower, AFAIK max of 4volts at full tilt from the balanced output. While that adds gain, and easy to assume that it does so without coloring the sound badly (much less add noise), if I was going to add the preamp I'd just leave the DAC to output at full line voltage and use the preamp. I mean, how many times exactly do I need to get up and change the volume? You do that with headphones because sound sources from a computer can vary (ie YouTube channels each have different volume levels vs locally stored and Spotify to which you can apply replay gain), not to mention swapping headphones and they have differnet impedance and sensitivity (and frequency response, which can affect your perception of how loud they are at 1000hz), but if you're in a dedicated listening set up using only locally stored digital music on speakers, changing the volume setting frequently is a lot less necessary. In the end, they're still using what amounts to a passive preamp on the DAC, so it's like using a Schiit Sys to control a headphone amp or integrated amp, or a preamp controlling a power amp.

In your case it's the amp that has the preamp, not just a variable output on the DAC, so technically what you will end up with is two active preamps in that chain increasing the gain twice over.

Attachments

• HF_10.jpg
    HF_10.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 0
  • HF_11.jpg
    HF_11.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HF_12.jpg
    HF_12.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back