Adding a line-out to a source
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mellowship

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

My phono pre-amp has a pair of RCA outputs which are connected to my integrated. I also have a headphone amp with a free set of RCA inputs. Is it legit to add a line output to my phono pre-amp, in series with the existing outputs, in order to connect it to the headphone amp, without having to disconnect the RCA cable from the integrated everytime I wish to listen to LPs using headphones?

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 5
You should probably sketch up a simple diagram for us to be certain what you're describing. How would you add a line output in "series?" If you have an integrated amp, it probably has a line out source connection (you could use the tape monitor outputs, if nothing else). True "series" connection is probably not possible, "parallel" is more likely what you're talking about.

There is no issue with connecting your headphone amplifier directly to a phono pre-amp. However, if you parallel the connection with the integrated amp, you'll probably get some bleed-through/noise if the integrated amp is on and connected to another signal source. If you control this through the integrated amp with line connections from the integrated amp outputs, it shouldn't be a problem. However, chances are it won't be nearly as good listening as connecting your headphone amp directly to the phono pre-amp. Most integrated amps/receivers introduce noise and other artifacts through the switching input/output controls that won't exist through a direct connection to the phono pre-amp.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 5
Hello,

My phono pre-amp has a pair of RCA outputs which are connected to my integrated. I also have a headphone amp with a free set of RCA inputs. Is it legit to add a line output to my phono pre-amp, in series with the existing outputs, in order to connect it to the headphone amp, without having to disconnect the RCA cable from the integrated everytime I wish to listen to LPs using headphones?
Are you talking about a splitter or junction box? I don’t see why not. The only problem would be if your phono preamp is decent or if it has some sort of gain stages. Sometimes the signal from a preamp can be too hot or too cold for any particular piece of equipment. But, in general, you’d just be diverting your output signal to one or the other device with a switch.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Are you talking about a splitter or junction box? I don’t see why not. The only problem would be if your phono preamp is decent or if it has some sort of gain stages. Sometimes the signal from a preamp can be too hot or too cold for any particular piece of equipment. But, in general, you’d just be diverting your output signal to one or the other device with a switch.

I got the impression he meant piggy backing, so essentially splitting. Which is entirely possible but he would need to calculate impedence, personally i'd implement a switch so I could just manually select the two. If op is talking about splitting the output of the phono

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 5
...there'd be more to consider, if all he wanted was to install another set of rca's from the pre-amp to the headphone amp to bypass the integrated, that's entirely possible could even be an idea to install a toggle switch even to add some kind of isolation. Beats rca swapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back