Adding a DAC. Worth the price?
Jun 15, 2011 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Almighty

Head-Fier
Simple enough scenario.

I have a PA2V2 headphone amp. (Don't really need any desktop/high end rigs).

Currently using it to drive A700's and XB700's via my computer. (High def audio 24/96 IDT for sound on my laptop).

What I'm wondering is if getting a $100 USB DAC (ex: NuForce Icon or the Fiio E7(dac/amp)) would improve the sound quality on this low of equipment?

Clarified.

Will a $100 DAC with a PA2V2 using entry level headphones add any noticeable sound quality boost/clarity boost?

Regards,

iMatt

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 4
It really depends.  Onboard audio is a huge tossup.  Some are awesome, others suck, and there's usually no good way to find out before buying a laptop.  Given your current 'phones you probably don't need one if there's nothing obviously wrong (static, hiss, ticking, etc) with what you have now, but some have have more subtle and insidious problems that wouldn't be obvious until you compare it to something better.

If you're curious find a place with a good return policy and try it for yourself.  You can spend more money and do a lot worse than the E7.  It would be a good place to start.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 4
Appreciate the feedback.

I'm not gonna pretend I'm experienced in head-fi haha. Honestly with the PA2V2 I have zero feedback/hiss. The sound is clean, this thing has more than enough power to drive both.

I think i'm just gonna hold off on a DAC. 

Thanks again,

Regards,

iMatt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back